Ch. 2 Questions [Private Pilot]

-Sec. A;

~1.) Identify the major components of the airplane.

A- Fuselage

B- Wing

C- Powerplant

D- Empennage

E- Landing Gear

~2.) What is the primary difference between monocoque and semi-monocoque?

The monocoque-aircraft structure in which the outer skin carries all or most of the torsional and bending stresses while the semi-monocoque- uses a substructure attached to the airplanes skin to maintain the shape of the aircraft more effectively.

~3.) When you move the control wheel to the left, will the left aileron move up or down?

Down.

~4.) True or False; The rudder is located on the horizontal stabilizer.

False.

~5.) What is the purpose of trim devices?

Trim devices help minimize the workload my aerodynamically helping move a control surface, or maintain the surface in a desired position.

~6.) An airplane with a wheel mounted on the tail is equipped with what type of landing gear?

Conventional landing gear.

~7.) In addition to providing power to turn the propeller, what other functions does the engine in a typical training airplane perform?

The engine generates electrical power, create a vacuum source for some flight instruments, and provides a source of heat.

~8.) 

FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) - Federal regulation require that this publication can be carried in the aircraft during all flight operations.

Pilot's Information Manual (PIM) - This publication can serve as a useful study tool even though it may not contain information about optional equipment.  

Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) - The format for this publication was standardized in 1975.

-Sec. B;

~1.) Identify the four step operating cycle.

A- Power; spark plugs fire to ignite the compressed mixture

B- Intake; mixture is drawn into the combustion chamber

C- Exhaust; expels burned gases through the open valve

D- Compression; intake valve closes to compress the mixture

~2.) As an airplane climbs, do you enrichen or lean the mixture to maintain an optimum fuel/air ratio?

Lean the mixture.

~3.) What is your first indication of carburetor ice in an airplane equipped with a fixed-pitch propeller?

A decrease in engine r.p.m.

~4.) Explain why an engine equipped with a fuel injection system is less susceptible to induction icing than one equipped with a float-type carburetor?

There can be a sharp temperature drop in a float-type carburetor due to fuel vaporization and decreasing air pressure in the venturi. If water vapor in the air condenses when the carburetor temperature is at or below freezing, ice may form. Since engines equipped with a fuel injection system eliminate the carburetor they are relatively free from the formation of induction icing. 

~5.) The uncontrolled, explosive ignition of the fuel/air mixture within the cylinder's combustion chamber describes which type of abnormal combustion? What actions can you take while airborne to help correct for this problem?

Detonation is this type of abnormal combustion and can be corrected by attempting to lower the cylinder's temperature. This can be done by retarding the throttle, enriching the fuel mixture, and lowering the nose to increase speed to provide more airflow.

~6.) If the fuel grade specified by your airplane is not available, can you use a lower grade of fuel? A higher grade?

You should not use a lower grade than what is required, but can substitute for the next higher grade if approved by the manufacturer.

~7.) Describe at least two functions performed by the engine oil system.

Lubricating the engines moving parts and carrying away contaminants during a filter.

~8.) If a constant-speed propeller is set to a high r.p.m., will the blade pitch (angle) be high or low?

Low.

~9.) True/False. To prevent internal engine damage in an airplane equipped with a constant-speed propeller, you should avoid low r.p.m. settings with a high manifold pressure.

True.

~10.) Immediately after engine start, you notice that the ammeter shows a discharge. Is this normal?

No.

-Sec. C;

~1.) What is the atmospheric pressure and temperature at sea level in a standard atmosphere?

29.92 in Hg. & 15 degrees Celsius.

~2.) Pitot pressure is used by which flight instruments?

The airspeed indicator.

~3.) Identify the V-speeds associated with the colored arcs.

A - VSO; lower limit of the white arc

B - VS1; lower limit of the green arc

C - VFE; upper limit of the white arc

D - VNO; upper limit of the green arc

E - VNE; red line

~4.) Which important airspeed limitation changes with aircraft weight and is not depicted on the airspeed indicator?

VA; maneuvering speed.

~5.) Pressure altitude - the vertical distance above the standard datum plane.

~6.) Density altitude - 

~7.) True altitude - 

~8.) Absolute altitude - 

~9.) You fly from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure but do not reset you altimeter. If you maintain a consistent indicated altitude, will you be at your desired altitude? Why?