Ch. 4 Summary Checklist [Private Pilot]

- The majority of midair collisions occur during daylight hours, in VFR conditions, and within five miles of an airport.

- During daylight hours, the most effective way to scan is through a series of short, regularly-spaced eye movements in 10 degree sectors.

- You may not notice objects in your peripheral vision unless there is some relative motion.

- If there is no apparent relative motion between another aircraft and yours, you are probably on a collision course.

- Empty field myopia occurs when you are looking at a featureless sky that is devoid of objects, contrasting colors, or patterns and your eyes tend to focus at only 10 to 30 feet.

- Blind spots make it difficult to see conflicting traffic. In both high-wing and low-wing designs, portions of your view are blocked by the fuselage and wings.

- Operation Lights On encourages you to use your landing lights during departures and approaches, both day and night, especially when operating within 10 miles of an airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility.

- Clearing turns allow you to see areas blocked by blind spots and make it easier to maintain visual contact with other aircraft in the practice area.

- An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other aircraft.

- Primarily, there are three situations where right-of-way rules apply; converging with another aircraft, approaching another aircraft head-on, or overtaking another aircraft.

- You must maintain minimum safe altitudes at all times except during takeoffs and landings.

- Mountain flying and flight over open water require specialized training from experienced instructors who are familiar with the area over which the flights will be conducted.

- While taxiing in wind, proper use of the aileron and elevator controls will help you maintain control of the airplane. 

- To ensure that it is clear as to who has control of the aircraft, the FAA strongly recommends the use of a three-step process when exchanging the flight control.

- A two-way radio is required for you to operate in the controlled airport environment since all aircraft in the vicinity, as well as those on the ground, are subject to instructions issued from the control tower.

- Control of VFR traffic is not exercised at an uncontrolled airport.

- The number at the end of the runway corresponds to the magnetic direction that you are heading when taking off or landing on that runway.

- A standard rectangular pattern with five named legs is used at most airports to ensure that air traffic flows in an orderly manner.

- The most common wind direction indicator is the wind sock, which is used at both controlled and uncontrolled airports. It provides you with the present wind conditions near the touchdown zone of the runway.

- A tetrahedron is a landing direction indicator which may swing around with the small end pointing into the wind, or may be manually positioned to show landing direction. 

- The segmented circle helps to identify the location of the wind direction indicator and employs landing strip indictors in conjunction wit traffic pattern indicators to show traffic pattern turn direction for a given runway. 

- Adhering to noise abatement procedures reduces the level of noise over neighborhoods that are near airports.

- A visual runway normally is marked only with the runway number and a dashed white centerline. When flying instrument approaches, pilots can use the additional markings on IFR runways, such as threshold markings, touchdown zone markings, and aiming point markings.