Ch. 9 Vocab. [Private Pilot]

~ Sec. A -

- Line of Position (LOP); can be identified on nautical chart and aeronautical chart as a line of possible positions, one being the airplanes actual position.

- Fix; intersection of two different lines of positions that establishes a position at a definite location.

- Pilotage; navigating by visual landmarks.

- Checkpoints; identifying landmarks that can't be confused with anything else used to provide cues to help you recognize and correct for drift.

- Dead rocking; type of navigation based on the calculations of time, speed, distance, and direction.

- Navigation plotter; transparent instrument that combines a straightedge for drawing a course line, a protractor for measuring the direction of flight, and distance scales for sectional, WAC, and VFR terminal area charts in both nautical and statute miles.

- True course; intended or desired direction of flight as measured on a chart clockwise from true north.

- Navigation log; additional information used in dead reckoning.

- Leg; any segment of a cross-country flight, such as the distance between checkpoints, intermediate stops, or course changes.

- True heading; direction of the longitudinal axis of the airplane points with respect to true north that is equal to true course plus or minus any wind correction angle.

- Isogonic line; lines on charts that connect points of equal magnetic variation.

- Magnetic course; true course corrected for magnetic variation.

- Compass heading; aircraft heading read from the compass that is derived by applying correction factors for variation, deviation, and wind to true course.

- VFR cruising altitude; when fling above 3,000 ft. AGL on magnetic headings from 0-179 degrees you must fly at odd thousand-foot altitudes plus 500 ft. and on headings from 180-359 degrees you are required to fly at even thousand plus 500 ft. up to the flight levels.

- Fuel reserve; requiring flights to have enough fuel to fly to the first point of intended landing at normal cruise speed, and to fly after that for an additional 30 minutes.

- Flight plan; a request that the FSS initiate a search for you if they have not heard from you by a certain time.

~ Sec. B -

- Very high frequency omnidirectional range (VOR);the most commonly used radio navigation system in the U.S. with more than 1,000 stations in service that operate in high frequency range on frequencies of 108 MHz - 117.95 MHz.

- VOR/DME and VORTAC; provide distance information to aircraft equipped with distance measuring equipment.

- Radials; radio beams transmitted by VOR stations outward in every direction.

- Compass roses; depict VORs and their associated radials on sectional charts with circles graduated in degrees.

- Terminal VOR (TVOR); located on an airport and is designed to be used within 25 n.m. and below 12,000 ft. AGL.

- Low altitude VOR (LVOR); used reliably up to 40 n.m. from the station at altitudes between 1,000 and 18,000 ft. AGL.

- High altitude VOR (HVOR); offers a reception range of 40 n.m. up to 14,500 ft., and 100 n.m. between 14,500 ft. and 18,000 ft.

- Reverse sensing; the normal procedure of correcting toward the needle will actually take you farther off course.

- Cone of confusion; area over the station in which the TO-FROM indicator changes.