Ch. 4 Vocab. [Private Pilot]

~ Vocab. - 

Chapter 4 Section A

Collision Avoidance: 

· Procedures to diminish the risk of in-flight collisions through see and avoid concepts to keep safe separation between aircraft.

Visual Flight Rules (VFR): 

· The regulations that specify the cloud and visibility limitations for aircraft operating with visual reference to terrain.

Instrument Flight Rules (IFR): 

· The rules that are established to govern flight operations in weather conditions below VFR weather minimums.

Visual Scanning: 

· A method to scan the sky to see and avoid aircraft is most effective when scanning during daylight through a series of short, regularly-spaced eye movements in 10° sectors.

Empty Field Myopia: 

· When looking at a featureless sky that is devoid of objects, contrasting colors, or patterns, your eyes tend to focus at only 10 to 30 feet ahead. This means that spots on the windshield that are out of focus could appear to be airplanes, and distant traffic may go undetected.

Blind Spots: 

· An area where the fuselage and wings obstruct a pilot's view.

Operation Lights On: 

· This is a program established by the FAA to encourage a pilot to use the landing lights during departures and approaches, both day and night, especially when operating within 10 miles of an airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility.

Clearing Turns: 

· A turn that consists of at least a 180° change in direction, allowing you to see areas blocked by blind spots and make it easier to maintain visual contact with other aircraft in the area.

Right-of-Way Rules: 

· An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other aircraft, when two aircraft of the same category are converging, but not head-on, the aircraft to the left shall give way. If the aircraft are on a head-on collision course, both aircraft should give way to the right. Also, the least maneuverable aircraft normally has the right-of-way.

Minimum Safe Altitudes: 

· A group of minimum altitudes specified by the FARs for safety reasons. These are required at all times except during takeoffs and landings.

Chapter 4 Section B

Controlled Airport: 

· These have an operating control tower and is sometimes referred to as a tower airport.

Air Traffic Control (ATC): 

· a government service that facilitates the safe and orderly movement of aircraft within and between airports by receiving and processing data from radar and devices that monitor local weather conditions and by maintaining radiocontact with pilots.

Uncontrolled Airport: 

· A nontower airport, control of the VFR traffic is not exercised. Pilots are responsible for determining the active runway and how to enter and exit the traffic pattern.

Runways: 

· Runways are defined as rectangular areas on a land aerodrome prepared for the landing and takeoff of aircraft.