Ch. 4 Notes [Private Pilot]

- The most effective way to scan during daylight is through a series of short, regularly-spaced eye movements in 10 degree sectors.

- If there is no apparent relative motion between another aircraft and yours, you are probably on a collision course.

- In haze, air traffic and terrain features appear to be farther away than they actually are.

- Prior to starting any maneuvers, make clearing turns and carefully scan the area for other aircraft.

- An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other aircraft.

- When two aircraft on the same category are converging, but not head-on, the aircraft to the left shall give way. If the aircraft are on a head-on collision course, both aircraft should give way to the right.

- The least maneuverable aircraft normally has the right-of-way. For example, a glider has the right-of-way over an airship and an airship has the right-of-way over a airplane.

- When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the right-of-way belongs to the aircraft at the lower altitude.

- The minimum safe altitude anywhere must allow an emergency landing, following an engine failure, without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

- Over a congested area, you are required to fly 1,000 ft. above any obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 ft. of your aircraft.

- When flying over an uncongested area, you must fly at least 500 ft. above the surface. Over sparsely populated or open water areas you cannot fly within 500 ft. of any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. 

- When taxiing in strong winds, proper use of the aileron and elevator controls will help you maintain control of your airplane. For example, when taxiing in a quartering headwind, hold the aileron up on the side from which the wind is blowing. In a quartering tailwind, position the aileron down on the side from which the wind is blowing.

- Generally, the most critical wind condition when taxiing a high-wing, tricycle-gear airplane is a quartering tailwind.

- When taxiing a tailwheel airplane, you should position the ailerons the same as you do for a tricycle-gear airplane. However, you should hold the elevator control aft (elevator up) in a headwind, and hold the elevator control forward (elevator down) in a tailwind.

- The runway's magnetic direction is rounded off to the nearest 10 degrees, with the last zero omitted. For example, runways oriented approximately 90 degrees and 270 degrees magnetic are designated by the numbers 9 and 27.

- At an uncontrolled airport, you can determine landing direction by observing the wind direction indicator. The extensions on the segmented circle indicate whether a left-hand or right-hand pattern should be used for a given runway.

- On runways with a displaced threshold, the beginning portion of the landing zone is marked with a solid white line with white arrows leading up to it. Although the pavement leading up to a displaced threshold may not be used for landing, it may be available for taxiing, the landing rollout, and takeoffs.

- A blast pad/stopway area cannot be used for taxiing, takeoff, or landing.

- A closed runway or taxiway is marked by a yellow X.

- An airport's rotating beacon operated during daylight hours normally indicates that weather at the airport is below basic VFR minimums.

- A military airport is identified by a rotating beacon which emits two quick, white flashes between green flashes.