DigiCast - Airport Familiarization

Perimeter roads usually are next to the runways. [false]

Airport vehicle operators never drive with the drivers window slightly open, especially at night and during periods of low visibility.  [False]

Aircraft exiting their gate parking positions by pushing back using a tug, or by powering out will have beacons located on the top and under the belly of the plane activated.

The non-movement area of the airfield consist of areas where clearance from the air traffic control tower is not required such as ramps and vehicle service roads. 

Responding to an emergency does give you the authorization to cut off aircraft or cross active runways without air traffic control clearance.  [false]

Your presence inside the drive lanes gives you the right of way to all moving aircraft.

Movement Area and Lighting Systems

Taxiway edge lights are blue.

At the last 1,000 feet, runway centerline lighting is only red.

Runway paint markings are white.

Movement Area Driving Rules and Regulations

The Movement Area is controlled by the air traffic control tower.

Aircraft have the right of way at all times.

Use perimeter roads when possible to avoid the Movement Area.

An airports self-inspection must be accomplished daily. 

Must be done after an accident or incident, or if it can hinder operation.

Runway edge lights are white and spaced 200ft. apart.

On precision instrument runways, the lights transition to yellow using split lenses for the last 2,000 feet as viewed from an aircraft's perspective. This yellow light zone provides a visual indication that the end of the runway is approaching. 

Holes wider than five inches and deeper than three inches can damage tires and landing gear or cause a loss of aircraft directional control. 

Sign base edges, manholes and drainage collars also cannot have a slope greater than 45 degrees relative to the surrounding surfaces. 

It's a good operating practice to conduct special AOA safety self-inspections for ponding during and immediately after rain conditions or during thaws when snow or ice accumulation is present.

A Safety Area is defined as a rectangular area, centered on a runway or taxiway centerline. 

Airport Operations is responsible for implementing and conducting a self-inspection program.

Part 139 provides guidance for the procedures airport operators must have to address any reduction in available equipment that causes the airport to fall below the required levels for maintaining its specified index. Provision must be made to notify the FAA regional office and each air carrier that uses the airport. A NOTAM informing pilots of the reduction in ARFF capability must be issued as well, in accordance with Part 139.339.

If the responsibility for correcting a violation falls under the control of FAA or another entity, make the appropriate contact and document it on the self-inspection form or in the Operations log. Airport Operations should follow up until the discrepancy is corrected.