Ch. 4 Questions [Private Pilot]

What is the most effective method to scan for other aircraft and why?

- Use a series of short, regularly spaced eye movements, not exceeding 10 degrees, focusing at least one segment on each segment.

When looking through haze, air traffic and terrain features are not as close as they appear.

- False.

What is a true statement regarding collision avoidance?

- If there is no apparent relative motion between another aircraft and yours, you are probably on a collision course.

1,000 ft. above any obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 ft. of the aircraft 

- Congested areas

500 ft. above the surface

- Uncongested areas

Within 500 ft. of any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure

- Sparsely populated or open water areas

Proper control positions for taxiing in the wind condition shown

- Yoke to the right, elevator control neutral

Describe the recommended procedure to be used when it is necessary for you to exchange the flight controls with your instructor 

- 'You have the flight controls.' 'I have the flight controls.' 'You have the flight controls.'

Describe how runway numbers are determined.

- Correspond to magnetic north reference. The runways magnetic direction is rounded to the nearest 10 degrees, omitting the last zero. Runways between the headings of 10 degrees and 90 degrees are designated with a single-digit runway number.

Determine the proper runway and traffic pattern for landing.

- Left-hand traffic for Runway 4

Explain the purpose of a displaced threshold and the operating limitations associated with it. 

- Indicates that there are obstructions (trees, powerlines, buildings) off of the end of the runway. This can prevent normal descent and landing on the initial portion of the pavement. 

What marking indicates a closed runway?

- A yellow X.

Runway incursions are primarily caused by errors associated with clearances, communications, airport surface movement, and positional awareness.

- True.

Beacon light pattern - white/white/green - 

Beacon light pattern - white/green - 

Beacon light pattern - white/yellow -