Ch. 8 Summary Checklist [Private Pilot]

- The pilot's operating handbook presents numerous charts which allow you to predict the airplane's performance accurately. They pertain to the takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, and landing phases of flight.

- Density altitude, wind, and runway conditions can greatly affect airplane performance.

- Takeoff performance depends mainly upon factors that can be measured or calculated in advance, such as density altitude, pressure altitude, temperature, wind, aircraft weight, and runway gradient or surface.

- You can easily break down wind direction and speed into headwind and crosswind components by using a wind component chart.

- Best angle-of-climb airspeed (Vx) is used to gain the most altitude in the shortest horizontal distance.

- The best rate-of-climb airspeed (Vy) gives the maximum altitude gain in the least amount of time.

- Typically, a normal or cruise climb airspeed is used when climbing for prolonged periods of time.

- Climb performance data is included in the POH to provide you with an idea of the approximate performance that can be expected under various conditions.

- When choosing a cruising speed, you should consider fuel consumption, range, and the effects of winds.

- Both the amount and the distribution of weight affect aircraft performance.

- The reference datum is the location from which all horizontal distances are measured for weight and balance purposes.

- An arm is a distance from the datum. Measurements aft of the datum are generally positive numbers, while those forward of the datum are negative numbers. A moment of the empty airplane and divide the total moment by the total weight.

- To compute the location of the CG, add the moments for each item of useful load to the moment of the empty airplane and divide the total moment by the total weight.

- Ramp weight is the term used to describe the airplane loaded for flight prior to engine start. Subtracting the fuel burned during engine start, runup, and taxi, yields the takeoff weight. Landing weight is the takeoff weight minus the fuel burned enroute.

- To determine an airplane's useful load, either prior to engine start or takeoff, you must subtract the basic empty weight from ramp weight or takeoff weight respectively. The useful load includes the weight of the flight crew and useable fuel, as well as any passengers, baggage, and cargo. Payload is the term used for the weight of only the passengers, baggage, and cargo.

- The maximum weight may be divided into categories such as maximum ramp weight, maximum takeoff weight, and maximum landing weight.

- When performing calculations, the empty weight, moment, and center of gravity information is obtained from the individual aircraft's weight and balance records.

- The pilot's operating handbook provides tables and/or graphs to help find the moment of occupants, baggage, and fuel.

- An overloaded airplane will have diminished performance. It will have a longer takeoff roll, lower angle and rate of climb, higher stall speed, reduced range and cruise speed, and a longer landing roll than a properly loaded airplane.

- Moving the CG forward increases stability, due to the increased tail-down force required for trimmed flight. The airplane will also stall at a higher speed, due to the increased wing loading.

- If the CG is located ahead of the established CG range, the elevator may not have sufficient force to raise the nose for landing.

- If an airplane is flown with the CG aft of the CG range, it will be less stable in pitch. It will be difficult to control, and if a stall or spin is entered, it may be impossible to recover.

- Even when an airplane is loaded within CG limits, its handling characteristics will vary with the location of the CG.

- On a mechanical flight computer, the A scale and B scale are identical.

- Multiplication and division are done using the unit index or 10 index.

- The speed index or 60 index is the unit index for the C scale, which is used for hours. Hours on the C scale correspond to minutes on the B scale.

- Time, speed, and distance problems are solved on the computer side. Fuel consumption, density altitude, true airspeed, and conversion problems also are done on the computer side.

- The wind vector can be separated into two components, a headwind or tailwind component, and a crosswind component.

- Course is the term for the intended path over the ground. Heading is the direction in which the nose of the airplane is pointed. An aircraft flying with a crosswind component will drift off course if the heading is the same as the course. By applying a wind correction angle, you can compensate for drift and remain on course.

- Wind correction angles are determined on the wind side of the computer. The effect of predicted winds aloft can be determined prior to takeoff, and actual winds aloft can be calculated using heading and ground reference information gathered in flight.

- Electronic flight computers duplicate many of the functions of mechanical flight computers, and some offer additional features such as timers or weight and balance functions.