Ch. 1 Vocab. [Private Pilot]

~Vocab. -

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) -

National authority with powers to regulate all aspects of civil aviation.

Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) -

Enforced set of rules given by the FAA to govern aviation activities in the US.

Fixed Base Operator (FBO) -

Organization granted the right by an airport to operate at the airport and provide aeronautical services.

FAA Certificated Flight Instructor (CFI) -

An instructor who serves to enhance/evaluate the knowledge and skill level of an aviator in pursuit of a higher pilot's license, certificate, or rating, being directly certified by the FAA.

Syllabus-

Outline of the subjects in a course of study or teaching that provides structure to training and helps ensure that no procedures are overlooked.

Student Pilot Certificate-

Certificate issued to a pilot in training, and is a pre-requisite for the student to fly alone in the aircraft, or solo.

Medical Certificate-

Title 14 CFR Part 1, the FAA defines as "acceptable evidence of physical fitness on a form prescribed by the Administrator."

Pilot In Command (PIC) -

An individual in the aircraft who is ultimately responsible for its operation and safety during its operation.

Annual Inspection-

A complete inspection of an aircraft and engine, required by the Code of Federal Regulations, needed every calendar year on all certificated aircrafts.

100-Hour Inspections-

Inspection identical in scope to an annual inspection. Should be done every 100 hours of flight on aircraft of under 12,500 pounds that are used to carry passengers for hire.

Preventive Maintenance-

Simple or minor preservative operations and the replacement of small standard parts not involving complex assembly operation.

Flight Review-

A cooperative effort to provide the pilot with a periodic assessment of their own flying skills to determine if there has been any deterioration in areas to adversely affect flight safety.

Refresher Training-

Training that is essential to keep a pilot's skills sharp and to keep a pilot informed on current information.

Mountain Flying-

A type of flying that takes place in mountainous areas, and requires proficiency in many if not all piloting skills

Aerobatic Flight Training-

Is a type of training that teaches a pilot intentional maneuvers involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) -

A Frederick, Maryland-based American non-profit political organization that advocates for general aviation.

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) -

Int'l organization of aviation enthusiasts based out of Oshkosh, Wisconsin.