Ch. 8 Notes [Private Pilot]

- Low atmospheric pressure, high temperature, and high humidity all result in decreased air density and a corresponding increase in density altitude.

- Pressure altitude and density altitude are  equal only at standard temperature.

- As density altitude increases, engine power output, propeller efficiency, and aerodynamic lift all decrease.

- Both density altitude and pressure altitude calculations may be solved using a density altitude chart.

- High density altitude will reduce aircraft takeoff performance.

- Headwind and crosswind components are computed by using a crosswind component graph.

- Takeoff performance charts show the total distance required to clear a 50-foot obstacle. In addition, some provide estimates of ground roll distance prior to liftoff.

- Total distance required to land and approximate ground roll distance after landing can be determined by using a landing distance graph or table.

- The best angle-of-climb airspeed (VX) provides the greatest gain in altitude in the shortest distance during climb after takeoff.

- The best rate-of-climb airspeed (Vy) provides the greatest gain in altitude over a period of time.

- A high density altitude decrease engine performance, aerodynamic lift, and propeller efficiency with a resulting reduction in climb performance.

- Cruise performance tables are used to calculate manifold pressure, fuel flow, fuel consumption, and true airspeed.

- Basic empty weight includes the weight of the standard airplane, optional equipment, unusable fuel, and full operating fluids including full engine oil.

- The standard weight of gasoline is 6 pounds per gallon. To convert gallons to pounds, multiply by 6 (20 gallons times 6 equals 120 pounds). To convert pounds to gallons, divide by 6 (30 pounds divided by 6 equals 5 gallons).

- To find the CG location, divide the total moment by the total weight.

- If the total moment falls between the fore and aft moment limits given in the table for that total weight, then the aircraft is within CG limits.

- The weight shift formula can be used to calculate the amount of weight that must be moved a specific distance or to determine the distance a specific weight would need to move to bring the CG within approved limits. The formula is: weight moved divided by aircraft weight equals distance CG moves divided by distance between arm locations.

- To find an estimated time enroute (ETE), first calculate groundspeed, then compute the time to cover the remaining distance. To compute an estimated time of arrival (ETA), add the estimated time enroute to the time over the last checkpoint.