Ch. 3 Notes [Private Pilot]

- Four forces of flight; lift, weight, drag, thrust. These forces are in equilibrium during unaccelerated flight. In straight-and-level, unaccelerated flight, lift equals weight and thrust equals drag.

- Thrust is provided when the engine turns the propeller.

- Angle of attack is the angle formed by the wing chord line and relative wind.

- During straight-and-level, unaccelerated flight, the plane is in a state of equilibrium; lift equals weight and thrust equals drag.

- Relative wind is opposite to and parallel to the flight path.

- A plane always stalls when the critical angle of attack is exceeded regardless of airspeed, flight attitude, or weight.

- Flaps allow you to steepen the angle of descent on an approach without increasing airspeed.

- Parasite drag; divided into three types, form drag, interference drag, and skin friction drag. 

- Pitch for airspeed, power for altitude.

- Ground affect is the result of the earth's surface altering the airflow patterns about the airplane. In ground affect, an airplane may become airborne before it reaches it recommended takeoff speed.

- In ground effect, induced drag decreases and excess speed in the flare may cause floating when the aircraft is within one wingspan above the surface.

- An airplane said to be inherently stable will require less effort to control.

- Yaw movement about the vertical axis is produced by the rudder.

- The longitudinal stability of an airplane is determined primarily by the location of the center of gravity in relation to the center of pressure (lift). 

- An airplane loaded to its aft CG limit will be less stable at all speeds.

- An airplane becomes progressively more difficult to control as the CG moves aft. If the CG is beyond the aft limit, it will be difficult to lower the nose to recover from a stall or spin.

- A power reduction in airplanes, other than T-tails, will decrease the downwash on the horizontal stabilizer from the wings and propeller slipstream. This is what causes the nose to pitch down after a power reduction.

- To enter a spin, an airplane must first be stalled. Although both wings are in a stall condition during a spin, one wing is stalled more than the other.

- Torque effuse greatest at low airspeeds, high power settings, and high angles of attack.

- P-factor causes an airplane to yaw to the left when it is at high angles of attack. P-factor results from the descending propeller blade on the right producing more thrust than the ascending blade on the left.

- If power failure occurs after takeoff, immediately establish the proper sliding attitude and airspeed.

- The horizontal component of lift causes an airplane to turn.

- The load factor imposed on an airplane will increase as the angle of bank is increased.

- Increasing the load factor will cause an airplane to stall at a higher speed.

- VA is defined as the design maneuvering speed.

- The amount of excess load that can be imposed on an airframe depends on the aircraft's speed.

~ AIRFOILS: provides aerodynamic force when interacting with a moving stream of air

- Upwash; deflection of the oncoming airstream upward and over the wing

- Leading edge; part of the airfoil which meets the airflow first

- Trailing edge; portion of the airflow where the airflow over the upper surface rejoins the lower surface airflow

- Downwash; downward deflection of the airstream as it passes over the wing and past the trailing edge

- Relative wind; airflow which is parallel to and opposite the flight path of the airplane

- Angle of attack; angle between the chord line of the airfoil and the direction of the relative wind

- Chord line; imaginary straight line drawn through the airfoil from the leading edge to the trailing edge

- Camber; characteristic curve of the airfoils upper and lower surfaces

~ SPIN RECOVERY:

1.) Move the throttle to idle. This will eliminate thrust and minimize the loss of altitude.

2.) Neutralize the ailerons.

3.) Determine the direction of rotation. This is most easily and accurately accomplished by referencing the turn coordinator. 

4.) Apply full opposite rudder. Ensure that you apply the rudder opposite the direction of rotation.

5.) Briskly apply elevator (or stabilator) forward to approximately the neutral position. Some aircraft require merely a relaxation of back pressure; others require full forward elevator (or stabilator) pressure.

6.) As rotation stops (indicating the stall has been broken), neutralize the rudder. If you don't neutralize the rudder when rotation stops, you could enter a spin in the opposite direction.

7.) Gradually apply aft elevator (or stabilator) to return to level flight. Applying the elevator too quickly may result in a secondary stall, and possibly another spin. Also, make sure you adhere to aircraft airspeed and load limits during the recovery from the dive. 

~ RADIUS OF TURN ~

- Increase in airspeed and decrease in bank = radius of turn and rate of turn remain constant

- Increase airspeed = increased rate of turn and decreased radius of turn

- Decreased airspeed = increased radius of turn and decreased rate of turn

- Increased bank = increased rate of turn and decreased radius of turn

- Decreased bank = increased radius of turn and decreased rate of turn