Aviation 101 MOOC - Systems Quiz

During normal operation in cruise, the alternator provides electrical energy for the system.

Most modern induction systems are fuel injected. 

When there is a lingering hot spot on the cylinder wall, results in the fuel/air mixture being ignited prior to its normal time is known as pre-ignition.

In most small airplanes that are equipped with a retractable landing gear system, the landing gear is moved by a hydraulic pump.

Flaps are considered a secondary flight control.

Detonation, which is uncontrolled, explosive ignition of the fuel/air mixture, can happen for a variety of reasons including 

The ailerons, which control the roll of the airplane, move as the pilot turns the yoke. If the pilot were to bank left, the right aileron would move downward. 

During preflight, the pilot ensures that the fuel vent is not blocked, and verifies that the fuel is free of contaminates. 

Flaps allow the pilot to land in a shorter distance, take off on a shorter runway, and fly at slower airspeeds. 

Trim is not a primary flight control.

The fuel tanks are vented to allow air to enter the tank to prevent a vacuum.

During normal operation, the landing gear system is actuated by the hydraulic system.

Most general aviation airplanes use 100LL fuel which is blue.

The throttle controls the amount of fuel and air that goes into the cylinders.

The reason the propeller is twisted is to creates uniform thrust along the surface.

Normally there are 2 fuel pumps in a general aviation airplane; engine driven and electrical back up.

Oil cools the engine. 

The fuel shutoff valve is pulled only in emergencies. 

When the pilot levels off at altitude, they use the trim to relieve control pressures. When leveled, if the pilot has to push forward to hold altitude, the trim must be rolled towards the nose down position.

During the winter months, the pilot may provide heat to the cabin by opening the cabin heat which allows airflow to enter the cabin from over the exhaust shroud. 

The engine requires 1 magneto to run.

The power plant provides engine power, heat to the cabin, and electricity. 

The engine is cooled by air and oil.

The purpose of spark plugs are to ignite the fuel/air mixture, moving the piston into the power stroke.