Aviation 101 - Weather Quiz

If a pilot wants to fly his family to lunch in a few days, and wants to start looking at weather systems, a good product to use would be a prognostic chart. 

A cold front would most likely result in a squall line. 

It is said that almost all weather occurs in the troposphere.

A legal way to check for weather would be calling a Flight Service Station.

One of the main factors for a thunderstorm is unstable air because when the air is pushed up it continues to rise causing cumulonimbus clouds.

When wind changes from a headwind to a tailwind, it would result in the airplane stalling. This can be a hazard when approaching an airport where known wind shear conditions exist and the airplane cannot recover from the stall.

If winds are not reported at 3000' on a winds aloft forecast, the airport must be at least 1500' MSL.

Ice can form on the propeller, tail, and wings.

The stratosphere provides the famous anvil top of thunderstorms.

A PIREP is observed weather by a pilot.

An occluded front is a warm front in which a cold front catches up to a warm front.

You would like to go flying VFR today with your best friend for lunch. The minimum visibility required for VFR conditions would be 3 statute miles.

If a pilot were planning of flying from Daytona Beach down to Miami and would like to know the very specific weather at just those two airports he or should would use a METAR for Daytona and TAF for Miami.

When water exists in clouds below freezing temperatures it is known as supercooled water droplets.

Because air moves across Earth, the air masses will usually intersect. The boundary between two air masses is referred to as a front.

For an airplane to be in icing conditions the airplane must be in visible moisture, and the outside air temperature must be at or below freezing.

The three ingredients to form a thunderstorm are sufficient moisture, unstable atmosphere, and lifting mechanism. 

The Coriolis Force, a force created by the rotation of the Earth, causes the circulation of air to flow in three distinct cells.

When the direction or speed of the wind changes over a short distance, it is known as wind shear.

A pilot would know that there is severe icing reported along his or her route of flight by referencing SIGMET.

Secluded is not a type of front.

Solid is not a type of ice; mixed, clear, and rime are.

If a pilot is planning a flight from Boston to New York City, spanning a few states, an area forecast might give him the best textual weather along their route of flight. 

If a pilot were planning of flying from Daytona Beach down to Miami and would like to know if there is any precipitation along the route of flight or if there is any weather moving towards the route, the best live product to use would be RADAR.

Because the circulation patterns try to maintain a balance, air flows from areas of high pressure to low pressure.