Aviation 101 MOOC - Airports

If a pilot takes-off and wants to remain in the traffic pattern to practice landings, which, in correct order, best describes the traffic pattern segments: departure, crosswind, downwind, base, final.

A pilot should enter a traffic pattern on a 45 degree angle to the downwind leg, flying towards the approach end of the runway.

When operating at a non-towered airport, the pilot should communicate on the common traffic advisory frequency (CTAF).

A runway distance remaining sign has a number with the amount of distance remaining in thousands of feet. 

If a runway is marked with yellow chevrons, then it cannot be used for take-off, taxi, or landing.

When building an airport, the primary runway should be aligned with the wind to have the greatest headwind, decreasing runway distance.

NOTAMs are published for all of the following except changes to airplane limitations.

While taxiing on the ramp, is on a non-movement area, and does not need clearance.

A pilot knows that a runway is closed by asking FSS, checking NOTAMS, and seeing a yellow 'x' marked somewhere on the runway.

While an airplane is approaching a non-towered airport at night, the pilot most likely needs to activate the pilot controlled lighting usually on CTAF. 

 Listening only to the ATIS is not a recommended way of retrieving NOTAMs.

While having an emergency at night, a pilot is approaching an airport that has two white flashes between each green on the airport beacon. The pilot lands at the military airport because it's an emergency. 

The numbers 8 and 26, painted on the ends of the runway, indicate that the runway is oriented approximately 080° and 260° Magnetic.

While landing, a pilot touches down halfway down a 6000' runway. The runway centerline lights appeared white initially, transitioning to alternating red and white for the last 3000', and solid red for the last 1000'.