Ch. 1 Summary Checklist [Private Pilot]

- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the agency which governs commercial and general aviation.

- The Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) provide rules which apply to all areas of aviation, including flight operations, the construction of aircraft, and the training requirements which must be met to obtain pilot certificates and ratings.

- Many pilot training schools are located at airport facilities called fixed base operations (FBOs). These facilities provide a variety of services to pilots, including aircraft rental, maintenance, parking, and the sale of pilot supplies. 

- There are two types of pilot training schools: FAA-approved schools governed by FAR Part 141 and schools governed by FAR Part 61.

- A syllabus provides structure to pilot training by organizing flight and ground lessons.

- To be eligible for a student pilot certificate you must be at least 16 years of age, be able to read, speak, and understand the English language, and hold at least a third class medical certificate.

- There are three classes of medical certificates: first -class which is designated for the airline transport pilot, second-class which is required for the commercial pilot, and third-class for student, recreational, and private pilots.

- In addition to the student pilot requirements, to be eligible for a private pilot certificate you must be at least 17 years of age, complete specific training and flight time requirements described in the FARs, pass a knowledge test, and successfully complete a practical test which consists of oral quizzing, performing pilot operations, and executing maneuvers in the airplane.

- A private pilot training program can generally be divided into three phases: presolo, cross-country, and practical test preparation. Each phase includes both flight and ground training.

- The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority, as to, the operation of that aircraft. 

- For pilot certification, aircraft are organized into category, class, and type. Your private pilot certificate will state the category, class, and type (if appropriate) of aircraft which you are authorized to fly.

- For aircraft certification, category relates to the intended use of an aircraft and sets strict limits on its operation. 

- To act as pilot in command of an aircraft, you must satisfactorily complete a flight review every 24 calendar months. 

- To act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers, you must have performed at least three takeoffs and landings in an aircraft of the same category and class within the preceding 90 days. 

- Frequent refresher training is essential to keep your flying skills sharp and to keep you informed on current pilot information.

- Mountain flying requires proper training since special considerations have to be made for weather, airport operations, course selection, and aircraft performance.

- Aerobatics instruction increases your proficiency as a pilot. While there are no specific flight hour training requirements to operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight, the FARs do place certain restrictions on aerobatic maneuvers.

- Aviation organizations such as AOPA, the EAA, The Ninety-Nines Inc., and the CAP sponson flying activities, promote safety, and furnish pilot information.

- The FARs require that you receive training and a logbook endorsement stating competency before you can operate as a pilot in command of either a high performance airplane or tailwheel airplane.

- To obtain an instrument rating, you are required to have at least 40 hours of instrument flight time as well as pass a knowledge test and practical test.