Ch. 2 Notes [Private Pilot]

SECTION A - AIRPLANES:

- The fuselage houses the cabin/cockpit containing seats and the controls.

- Most earlier air structures contained an open truss structure where there are clearly visible struts and wired-braced wings. (enclosed truss to streamline and improve performance) That turned into a stressed skin structure, supporting the flight load.

- Monocoque uses the skin to support almost all imposed loads.

- Semi-monocoque uses a sub structure riveted to the airplanes skin.

- Air flows around the wings creating lift, designed to take advantage of this force.

- Airplanes with one set of wings, called monoplanes, or have two sets of wings, called biplanes.

- On the rear or tailing edges of are two types of control surfaces; ailerons, that extend from above the midpoint of each wing out to the tip moving in opposite directions and flaps, that extend outward from the fuselage to the midpoint of each wing.

- The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are part of the empennage acting like feathers to steady the airplane and maintain a straight path. On the back of the vertical stabilizer there is a rudder that can move the nose of the plane left or right. An elevator is attached to the back of the horizontal stabilizer used to move the nose up and down.

- A stabilator is a one-piece horizontal stabilizer that pivots up and down on a central hinge point.

- Aircraft operating limitations may be found in the approved flight manual, placards, or a combination of these.

- Trim devices help minimize the workload by aerodynamically helping move a control surface or maintain the surface in a desired position. 

- Powerplant includes the engine and propeller. The engines primary function is to turn the propeller. A firewall located between the engine compartment and the cockpit serves as a mounting point  for the engine.

- Pilots Operating Handbook (POH) standardized in 1975 holds most information about a particular make and model of a plane.

- FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) are specifically assigned to the individual plane and can be accessed during all flight operations.

- Pilots Information Manuel (PIM) has the same info as the AFM and POH except for weight and balance data and optional equipment specific to the plane.

SECTION B - THE POWERPLANT AND RELATED SYSTEMS:

- The operating principle of float-type carburetors is based on the difference in pressure at the venture throat and the air inlet.

- When leaning the mixture, you decrease the fuel flow to compensate for decreased air density. Leaning the mixture may eliminate engine roughness during runup at high-elevation airports.

- If you don't adjust the mixture control during descents from high to low altitudes, the fuel/air mixture will be too lean.

- You should expect carburetor ice when temperatures are at or below 21 degrees Celsius (70 degrees Fahrenheit) and the relative humidity is high.

- The first indication of carburetor ice in an airplane equipped with a fixed-pitch propeller is a loss of r.p.m. The decrease in r.p.m. caused by the enriched mixture will be followed by an increase in r.p.m. as the ice melts.

- The use of carburetor heat generally decreases engine performance.

- Fuel injection systems are generally less susceptible to icing than float-type carburetors.