DigiCast - Runway Markings

Runway centerline lights are white until the last 3,000 feet of the runway, where they alternate red and white, then change to all red for the last 1,000 feet.

Runway End Identifier Lights are strobe-type lights installed at runway ends to help pilots locate the end of the runway.

Boundary signs identify Runway Safety Area or Obstacle Free Zone, and ILS critical areas for pilots exiting the runway. The sign has black inscriptions on a yellow background.

 A precision approach runway does have lighted touchdown zones or intricate approach lighting systems.

The dashed side of the Non-Movement Area Boundary line faces the Movement Area and the solid line faces the Non-Movement Area. 

Threshold stripes are marked with a set of equal numbered white stripes on each side of the runway's center.

Mandatory instruction signs have white inscriptions with a black outline on a red background and must be lighted.

All taxiway lines are painted yellow and outlined in black, if necessary.

All runway markings are painted white. 

You must have air traffic control tower clearance to go beyond the runway holding position sign and enter the intersecting runway.

Direction signs have black inscriptions on a yellow background and always contain black arrows. These signs indicate directions of a taxiway or runway leading out of an intersection.

Location sign has a yellow inscription on a black background with a yellow border.

A taxiway centerline is a single continuous yellow line that may extend onto a runway.

Runway edge markings are single solid white lines showing aircraft the edges or limits of usable pavement. 

In-pavement runway guard lights are located on an imaginary line in front of the holding side of the runway holding position marking. 

The chevrons indicate this area is NOT usable for aircraft landing, taking off, or taxiing.

 A Non-Movement Area Boundary marking is painted on the pavement showing the boundary between the Movement Area and the Non-Movement Area. 

The threshold of each runway is not marked by a solid 12-foot wide white painted line. 

Intermediate holding position marking is a single dashed yellow line extending across the width of the taxiway.

Starting from a runway's approach end, the point where usable pavement for a landing aircraft begins is called the threshold. 

Taxiway edge lighting is blue in color, although some areas may be red, indicating a closed or hazardous area. 

 A precision approach runway does have lighted touchdown zones or intricate approach lighting systems. 

Touchdown zone and aiming point markings provide visual reference for landing operations and are spaced at 500-foot intervals. 

Centerline markings are single dashed white lines painted on runway centers. 

Aiming points consists of two solid rectangular bars, one on each side of the runway centerline beginning at 1,000 feet past the threshold.

Runway end identifier lights are strobe-type lights installed at runway ends to help pilots locate the end of the runway.