Aviation 101 - Performance and Navigation Quiz

An increase in temperature results in a decrease in density.

When comparing two identical planes with different weighing passengers, the heavier plane would need more distance than the lighter plane to complete their takeoff ground roll.

Dead Reckoning is the process of navigation solely through the use of mathematical computations, based on time, speed, distance, and heading.

When discussing aircraft performance, the altitude in which performance is a huge factor is density altitude.

NDBs are simply just ground-based AM radio transmitters that transmit radio waves in all directions.

WAAS improves the accuracy, integrity, and availability of GPS signals.

A headwind increases takeoff performance, decreasing the amount of runway required.

Thunderstorms can affect NDB navigation.

When a pilot uses fixed visual references and landmarks along the ground, this is known as pilotage.

In order to navigate via NDBs, pilots need to have an Automatic Direction Finder installed in their aircraft.

HSI can aide to situational awareness by decreasing the chances of having reverse sensing.

The GPS Space Element consists of a minimum of 24 satellites in 6 orbital planes around Earth.

VORs transmit radials from a station.

A major factor in aircraft performance is the weight of the airplane and the density of the air.

The GPS System consists of three elements: Space, Control, and User.

Pressure altitude is indicated altitude corrected for non-standard pressure.

When referencing performance, most information is based off of a standard. The standard temperature is 15 degrees Celsius. The standard pressure is 29.92"Hg.

When discussing aircraft performance, the altitude in which performance is a huge factor is density altitude.

One of the ways pilots get distance information is through something called DME.

GPS operates on a principle called Pseudo-Ranging, the process that allows us to calculate our distance by time.