Aviation 101 MOOC - Aeromedical Quiz

The only aeromedical condition that will result in cyanosis, the turning of extremities to blue, is hypoxia.

Roughly 78% of the air is made up of nitrogen. 

Decompression sickness occurs when excessive nitrogen in the cells "bubble out" and can cause damage around joints and nerves.

One of the most prevalent aeromedical conditions that new students have is motion sickness. In order to relieve the symptoms, the pilot should focus on a point on the horizon. 

A person should wait no less than 24 hours between scuba diving and flying for the dives requiring decompression stops.

You're on a solo-cross country and didn't want to cancel your flight since the weather was beautiful despite having a cold. In the descent, your ears begin to hurt. You can chew gum, drink water, perform the valsalva maneuver.

The recommended altitude to use supplemental oxygen DURING THE DAY is 10,000 feet.

Stagnant Hypoxia is a result of a decrease in blood flow to the cells. 

Motion sickness occurs when your brain feels that there is a disagreement between what is seen and what your body feels.

The most common type of hypoxia experienced by pilots is hypoxic hypoxia.

Typically in a Cessna Skyhawk, a single-engine airplane that gets heat from the exhaust shroud, a pilot can experience carbon-monoxide poisoning. 

Hypemic Hypoxia is a result of the blood is unable to transport oxygen to the cells.

Hypoxia is a condition in which the body, or part of the body, is deprived of adequate oxygen.

When you're unsure if your passenger is suffering from hyperventilation or hypoxia, you should treat for hypoxia.

John F. Kennedy, Jr. crashed his airplane as a result of being disoriented while flying in marginal weather conditions at night. In order to reduce the risk of an accident during these conditions, a pilot should rely more on flight instruments than normal.

Hyperventilation could be caused by a high-school student who just got rejected from their top-choice college.

The eye is made up of photo-sensing cells called rods and cones.

A medical certificate can be obtained from an FAA-approved aeromedical examiner.

The recommended altitude to use supplemental oxygen AT NIGHT is 5,000 feet.

When making an approach to a skinny runway, the pilot may feel as if they are above the glide path.