Ch. 5 Notes [Private Pilot]

- You may not use a transponder for operations in controlled airspace unless it has been tested and inspected within at least the preceding 24 calendar months.

- When making routine transponder code changes, you should avoid inadvertent selection of 7500, 7600, and 7700.

- The standard transponder code for VFR operations is 1200.

- Controllers reference traffic from your airplane as if it were a clock. If you are flying a heading of 090 degrees and ATC states "traffic 3 o'clock, 2 miles west-bound," you should look for the traffic to the south.

- Basic radar service in the terminal radar program includes traffic advisories and limited vectoring to VFR aircraft.

- Automatic terminal information service (ATIS) is the continuous broadcast of noncontrol airport information at selected high activity terminal areas.

- The letters VHF/DF appearing in an Airport/Facility Directory airport listing indicate that the FSS has direction finding equipment.

- To use VHF/DF facilities for assistance in locating your aircraft's position, you must have a VHF transmitter and receiver.

- The correct method of stating 4,500 ft. MSL is "four thousand five hundred."

- In the U.S., you add hours to convert local time to Zulu time. For example, if you depart an airport in the eastern daylight time zone at 0945 EDT for a 2 hour flight to an airport located in the central daylight time zone, you will land at approximately 1545 Zulu time.

- Prior to entering an airport advisory area, you should contact the local FSS for airport and traffic advisories.

- When you are landing at an airport with a part-time tower and the tower is not in operation, you should monitor airport traffic and announce your position and intentions on the designated CTAF.

- The recommended communication procedure when using a CTAF is to transmit your intentions when you are 10 miles out and give position reports in the traffic pattern.

- An air traffic clearance is an authorization by ATC for you to proceed under specified traffic conditions within controlled airspace. 

- A clearance to 'taxi to' your assigned take-off runway authorizes you to cross any runways intersecting your taxi route, but not to taxi on to the departure runway.

- After landing at a controlled airport, you should contact ground control when advised to do so by the tower.

- If your aircraft radio fails when landing at a controlled airport, you should observe the traffic flow, enter the pattern, and look for a light signal from the control tower.

- Each color or color combination of light signal has a specific meaning for an aircraft in flight or on the airport surface. For example, after a communication failure, a steady green light signal from the control tower indicates that you are cleared to land.

- When activated, an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) transmits on 121.5 MHz and 243.0 MHz.

- ELT false alarms can be minimized by monitoring 121.5 MHz during flight, prior to engine shut down, and after maintenance.

- The battery in an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) must be replaced, or recharged if the battery is rechargeable, after one-half of its useful life. An ELT may be tested during the first five minutes after the hour.