Ch. 7 Vocab. [Private Pilot]

- Persistence Method:

Assumes that the conditions at the time of the forecast will not change.

- Trend Forecast:

The forecast is based on the assumption that these changes will continue at the same rate they have been occurring.

- Climatological Forecast:

This method uses such guidelines as the average value of weather elements for a region, the maximum and minimum values of weather elements, the most or least time of occurrence of certain weather phenomena, etc.

- Analogue Forecast:

This method uses such guidelines as the average value of weather elements for a region, the maximum and minimum values of weather elements, the most or least time of occurrence of certain weather phenomena, etc.

- Meteorological Forecast:

The application of science and technology to predict the state of the atmosphere for a given location.

- Numerical Weather Prediction:

The power of computers to make a forecast. Complex computer programs, also known as forecast models, run on supercomputers, and provide predictions on many atmospheric variables such as temperature, pressure, wind, and rainfall.

Chapter 7 Section B

- Aviation Routine Weather Report (METAR):

An observation of surface weather that is reported in standard format.

- Non-Routine (Special) Aviation Weather Report (SPECI):

An unscheduled report indicating a significant change in one or more elements.

- Prevailing Visibility:

The greatest distance visible throughout at least half of the horizon, not necessarily continuously.

- Runway Visual Range (RVR):

The distance over which a pilot of an aircraft on the centerline of the runway can see the runway surface markings delineating the runway or identifying its center line.

- Ceiling:

The AGL height of the lowest layer of clouds that is reported as broken or overcast, or the vertical visibility into an obscuration, such as fog or haze.

- Radar Weather Report (SD):

This displays areas of precipitation as well as information about type, intensity, configuration, coverage, echo top, and cell movement of precipitation 35 minutes past each hour.

- Pilot Weather Report (PIREP):

A report of actual weather conditions encountered by an aircraft in flight that is usually relayed by radio to the nearest ground station, but other options (electronic submission) also exist in some regions.

- Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TSF):

A concise statement of the expected meteorological conditions at an airport during a specified period (usually 24 hours).

- Aviation Area Forecast (FA):

Covers general weather conditions over a wide region and is a good source of enroute weather information.

- Winds and Temperatures Aloft Forecast (FD):

A forecast of specific atmospheric conditions in terms of wind and temperature at certain altitudes, typically measured in feet (ft) above mean sea level (MSL).