40. Last-Minute Realizations

*three weeks later*

It was already the last week of school. The students had their semestral exams the week before and now, they practicallly had nothing to stress about.

Well, most of them anyway.

Why do I keep thinking about that? Peach thought angrily to herself. It's not even that big of a deal!

Peach knew that some of her classmates thought she had been acting strange lately. Peach wanted to become her normal self again, to stop worrying about things that didn't deserve her attention!

Somehow, the teen managed to zone out for what seemed to be the millionth time in the past three weeks.

*flashback*

"What should we talk about now?" Peach questioned. "We've already covered the following topics- Mario, the latest trends, how disgustingly lame the unpopulars are... So, now what?" The mushroom girl spoke up.

"Well, I think I should be nicer," Toadette stated. Both Peach and Dixie were confused by this remark.

"Excuse me?" Dixie said. "That's irrelevant to our social status."

"But I read somewhere that the kinder you are, the better your future will be. You'll be a happier and more likable person. It will also be easier to make new friends in unfamiliar places and can lead to better results in job interviews and stuff," Toadette explained.

"... Toad told you to read that weird stuff, didn't he?" Peach commented.

"Nope," Toadette replied. "I found the article myself. But hey, aren't you concerned about your future, Peach?"

"Why should I be concerned if I know my plan already?" Peach gushed. "I will be a top model worldwide and be every girl's idol when it comes to beauty. Because of this, I'll be very wealthy and we can all live together in a fabulously massive and gorgeous home together... Until I find the perfect guy, of course. I've been either adored or envied throughout my school life. I am certain hardly anything will change once we graduate."

Toadette seemed to be thinking about Peach's reply, so Peach gave her a moment to do so. Then, she got Toadette's attention again.

"Now, Dettie," Peach started. "Please do not ever speak of that again."

"Of what?" Toadette asked, obviously confused. "Of the fact that the kinder people always do better in life?"

"SHUT UP," Peach said with gritted teeth. Toadette's small eyes widened.

"Okay, okay," she mumbled, avoiding eye contact with Peach. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Peach suddenly sounded calm again. "Just don't do it again."

*flashback over*

"UGH!" Peach screamed. "What's wrong with me?!"

"Peach, what is the matter?" a maid toadette questioned. She overheard Peach while she was cleaning another part of the room.

"Nothing," Peach sighed. "I've lost my appeitite." And with that, Peach walked to her room, leaving her food untouched.

I know what will make me feel better, Peach smiled to herself once she was in her room. She got her favorite book, one of the only ones she enjoyed reading.

Sour Peaches. Peach grinned at the title before opening the book. 

However, she was only a few pages into her own book when she began to feel sick in her stomach.