17. Surprises

*two hours later*

"Doctor, how is he?" Daisy asked when the doctor entered the waiting room. Mario, Luigi, Daisy, Boo, and Rosalina had taken Yoshi to the DK Summit Infirmary.

"He is definitely injured, but it could have been worse," the doctor replied. "Yoshi's right femur is fractured. He has to use crutches for 9 weeks."

"Is that all?" Mario asked.

"Also, Yoshi needs to have a surgery done now," the doctor said. "We will insert a rod at the center of his bone. Would you like to stay here or be contacted when the surgery is done?" The friends discussed what to do.

"Here's my number, you can contact us when the surgery's done," Luigi wrote his number on a post-it that he got from a stack in the waiting room.

"Alright. Would you like to see him before he undergoes the surgery?" the doctor offered.

"Sure!" Everyone entered the room where Yoshi was. He grinned when he saw his friends.

"Hi!" he said.

"Hey, Yosh," Rosalina sat down on the edge of the bed. "We're going out for a little bit while you have your surgery done. What food do you want us to bring you?"

"Hmm..." Yoshi thought for a moment. "Maybe a party-sized order of fries from McShroom, a blue raspberry slushie, and an eight-cheese pizza from Goomblio's Pizzeria for all of us to share."

"I don't know if those places are open, it's still Christmas," Boo pointed out. All 6 of them had completely forgotten the holiday because of Yoshi's unexpected hospital visit.

"Room service then," Yoshi smiled. "Order what you think I'd like most."

"Ok, Yoshi. See you later!" Mario, Luigi, Daisy, Boo, and Rosalina left.

"Thanks, guys!" Yoshi called after them.

*three weeks later*

Rosalina had arrived at school around 10 minutes early, as usual. She first went to get things at her locker, where Peach was brushing her hair nearby. Rosalina avoided eye contact as she got her things for class. “Hey, Rosalina,” Peach said in a friendly tone, which Rosalina thought was nonexistent. Peach saying hi startled Rosalina so much that she dropped her very heavy math textbook on her foot. Rosalina made a strange noise of pain. “Oh, sorry,” Peach giggled as she picked up Rosalina’s book and gave it to her. Rosalina accepted the book, utterly confused. Once Rosalina had gotten everything else she needed, she rushed off. “See you in class!” Peach called from behind. Rosalina saw Mario, Daisy, and Yoshi chatting and went to join them.

“Guys,” she started. “You have no idea what just happened a few minutes ago.”

“Umm… You were getting things from your locker?” Daisy said slowly.

“Not just that,” Rosalina replied. “Peach was being friendly. To ME.”

“Elaborate, please,” Mario said.

“She said hi and bye to me, picked up my books, and kept smiling at me,” Rosalina shuddered at the memory. “It was so weird.”

“That kind of thing happened to me today, too,” Daisy said. “Dixie complimented my outfit and asked me what my answers were for the math homework. I didn’t tell her, of course.”

“Well, Bowser and Toad were talking to each other and sneaking glances at Yoshi and me if that means anything,” Mario shrugged.

“Just ignore it. They’re probably trying to make us look like fools,” Daisy stated. Then, Luigi and Boo joined them.