26. Rosalina's Birthday

*a week and two days later*

“Coming!” Rosalina yelled when the doorbell rang. She quickly brushed her hair one more time. Before going downstairs to answer the door, Rosalina glanced at her reflection in the mirror.

Rosalina was wearing a white romper with her favorite sky blue hoodie over it. She was also wearing glittery blue flats. Rosalina also sported a dreamcatcher necklace, a bracelet with an infinity charm, and a bright blue hair clip. Her makeup consisted of mascara, red lipstick, and coral-colored blush.

A minute later, the birthday girl went downstairs and opened the front door. “Hey!” she grinned. Mario and Luigi were at the door.

“Happy belated birthday!” they said in unison, hugging Rosalina after putting their gifts down. Rosalina had actually turned fifteen yesterday.

“Thanks! I’ll open my gifts later,” Rosalina stated. “Right now, we have to wait for the others.”

Soon Daisy, Yoshi, Boo, and Toad had arrived. After hanging out for a bit in Rosalina’s house, the friends left for where they were going to have dinner.

*twenty minutes later*

“Oh my gosh, Rosie!” Daisy exclaimed, looking ahead. “We’re eating THERE?!” The friends were approaching Chef Toadley’s, a first-class steakhouse and Rosalina hadn’t told her friends where they were eating in advance.

“Yes, we are,” Rosalina said.

“I know we haven’t eaten yet, but thank you so freaking much!” Yoshi was awestruck. “I’ve been wanting to go here so badly! I heard they have the best steak in town.”

“Yeah, everyone who’s rich enough to eat here says that,” Mario said.

“Guys, we’re only eating here because of the occasion,” Rosalina stated. “Don’t start treating me like a millionaire. I haven’t been here before either.”

The group arrived at the restaurant. They were taken to their table right after Rosalina claimed her reservation. On the way there, the friends heard two oh-so-familiar voices.

“Hey, losers,” one of them said. Mario, Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, Boo, Rosalina, and Toad all noticed Peach, Dixie, and Peach’s parents at a table. Seeing Peach and Dixie would normally ruin Rosalina’s mood, but not today.

“Losers?” Peach’s mom raised an eyebrow.

“It’s just a joke,” Peach assured her and gave the unpopulars a fake but convincing smile. “Happy birthday, Rosalina.”

“Thank you,” Rosalina returned the fake smile. “And you might want to deal with that misplaced hair strand.” Peach gasped and immediately looked at herself on the camera of her phone. Rosalina’s friends managed to contain their laughter. Then, the unpopulars went to their assigned table and sat down.

*an hour later*

The friends had just finished their meals and were waiting for Rosalina to receive her birthday cake slice.

“The food is so indescribably delicious,” Toad grinned, adjusting his glasses.

“I know right,” Mario agreed. “I’d eat here every weekend if I could.”

“But if you do that, this place won’t be so special anymore,” Boo pointed out.

“Aww,” Mario frowned. “Fine, but I’ll consider eating here for my birthday.”