Flying the nest?

I don't know how long I flew around for but it wasn't long enough to ease what just happened or how I felt.

I didn't feel angry anymore, not really. I was so beyond hurt and upset, I felt heartbroken.

I've lost my best friend and I feel like I've lost my happiness.

And then it hit me- I've lost my home.

I finally figured it out.

No matter how I feel, or have felt about Fred in the past, whether it be platonic or romantic I couldn't deny that he felt like home.

After mum, home didn't feel like home and neither did Hogwarts, not really.

But Fred did.

Wherever I was, so long as I was with him- I felt safe and secure, I felt completely and utterly content.

In his arms or even in his smile, I could find myself and know I belonged, like I was well and truly home.

I almost flew right into the whomping willow, I wasn't safe in the air- my head was too full.

So I landed back by the lake and let myself collapse right at the edge as I clung to my knees and sobbed.

I was cold, really cold but I didn't care. I couldn't bring myself to go back into the castle, I didn't even know if I was ever going to be able to. So I clung tightly to my robes and pulled them around me as much as possible.

After a while, I heard footsteps rushing towards me and my heart started pounding.

Please don't let it be him

"Clara!"

Phew. It was Jade and Ophelia, they both came to either side of me and wrapped their arms around me.

"Bloody hell Clar, you're frozen!" Jade exclaimed as she took off her Slytherin scarf and flung it round my neck "we heard what happened.." she started

"but neither of us understand it!" Ophelia finished for her

"Neither do I" I sniffed

"did he really say he hopes Adrian... shags you?" Jade asked gingerly

"Fucks me, actually yes. And he 'knows I'd let him' apparently" I said, tears starting to fall once more

"I'll kill him, I don't care. I'll go to Azkaban. He is NOT getting away with this." Ophelia shouted, tossing a stone beside her into the lake

"you wanna know what else he said?" I choked out- "he said, 'CLEARLY you and I were never going to go together'. He said it like I was nothing... n-nothing to him, like I meant nothing" my voice cracked and I started sobbing again

"I- I guess we were wrong huh?..." I spluttered "he definitely doesn't fancy me. I think he might even hate me"

I was practically cawing, there was a pain in my chest.

"well I hate him" barked Ophelia

"Ophelia!" jade scolded her "c'mon Clar you know that's not true..."

I scoffed "you should've seen the way he LOOKED at me Jade. He made me feel so small, no one in my life has ever looked at me with such hostility and venom"

"So much for best friends" I muttered

We sat in silence for a time. Them not sure what to say to me, and me to them.

Every once in a while I'd start crying again and they'd both lean their heads on my shoulder as we watched the lake move slightly in the cold winter breeze.