When Clara met Freddie

-Freds POV-

Was it something I said? I wondered as lay in my bed not being able to sleep, my head spinning with what had happened.

The trouble is I didn't say anything, neither of us did. But something did shift in that moment, something changed.

I could see it in her eyes and it's driving me crazy that I don't know what it was. I'm not buying the vomit storyline, I've seen Clara vomit drunk before and that wasn't it. For a second, no a millisecond, I thought I could see in her eyes what I'm sure was in mines-

Love.

Not the type you have for your friends or your family but the kind of love that somehow feels earth shattering and world building at the same time, the type that is the reason you get up and feel unstoppable but also holds you hostage in a cage of fear everyday, the type of love that makes you appreciate all of the colour and beauty in the world but makes you even more terrified of the dangers and atrocities it has to offer.

You know, LOVE love.

It's always been like that with Clar, from the first time we met in Snapes classroom. George and I had gone into to prank him but as soon as we got in and I saw her sitting there; I had forgotten all about the prank we were trying to pull and to this day I don't remember what it was.

I couldn't think. I couldn't see anything but her, just sat there staring at this old textbook with her quill in hand, lightly tickling her own nose and those massive blue eyes that I didn't actually think could get any bigger until she looked at us and to my astonishment, they widened more. I was fixated on them, still am.

I never understood how eyes so innocent and beautiful could sit on a face that looked so... miserable and broken. I knew right there that I just had to make her smile somehow and then I did; with some silly story about Percy and when she smiled for that first time I never ever wanted that smile to fade.

So everyday since, I've made it my mission to make her smile.

I imagine that'll be difficult to do tomorrow. Whatever happened hit her like a bludger, one second we were smiling and just taking each other in, I could feel her small warm hands on the back of my neck and I'm not sure she even meant it but her middle finger was lightly tracing up and down, sending complete chills down my spine.

We were so... connected.

Then she blinked and her eyes started to trail off and dart around as though she was searching for something. I knew she did this when she was thinking, like there's a literal conversation going on in her head and she's frantically listening to both sides at once.

And yet the whole time, she kept her hands resting on the back of my neck.

Once again Clara Bennet you've managed to confuse the living daylights out of me. Or maybe I'm confusing myself, reading into things too much and just trying to see what I want to see.

I know Clara will never feel the same, she's much too good for me. She really is one of a kind whilst I, quite literally am not.

If anything she'd probably fancy George over me. Mum always bangs on about Clara and George getting together, even she can see Clara would be too good for me. I think she thinks I'd hurt her, that I wouldn't be loyal or thoughtful enough or something.

She's wrong though, I would never in my life hurt Clara.

In spite of everything that's happened to her, she still manages to be one of, no THE most amazing person I've ever met or ever will meet. In all of the magic realm, the muggle world, past, present or future there will never be anyone like Clara Bennet.

And I'll never love anyone as much as I love her.