Crossed wires

PS- the next few chapters are going to be centred around the day/night of the Yuleball, which may seem odd but I promise it''ll make sense

It's going to be a pivotal event for Clara and Fred ;)

Fred POV

I could barely sleep last night; for one, I was excited and downright anxious about tonight and secondly I could hear Longbottom down in the common room practicing his bloody dancing for hours.

I got to the point where I wasn't able to sleep so I went down to talk to him and reluctantly asked him if he'd teach me to dance.

I'm not bad at dancing per say, but the whole proper fancy ballroom stuff is a bit beyond my natural capabilities.

So I slow danced with bloody Neville Longbottom for 2 hours in the common room just so Clara didn't think I was completely useless.

He asked me who it was I was trying to impress and I wasn't going to tell him, but he kept banging on about "how special she must be to turn down Fleur Delacour"

I told him "I really don't think she's all that, Fleur I mean- not for me anyways"

"so who is?" he pried

I flopped on the sofa with a sigh "Clara."

"Clara Bennet? Your best friend Clara?! You fancy your best friend?!" he asked practically bouncing up and down

"yes. I do. But if you tell a soul about it then that frog of yours will go missing- permanently."

He looked at me, practically petrified.

"sorry Neville, I just don't want it getting out" I whispered

"it's ok. Are you going to tell her?" he asked softly

"I don't know. I want her to know how I feel, but I'm terrified to hear how she feels"

"well... you might want to tell her soon" he shuffled

"why?" I demanded

"well, the other day when some of the Slytherin boys were teasing me- Draco was making fun of Adrian Pucey because Adrian has a huge crush on Clara and wants to ask her to the ball" he spluttered, looking at me nervously.

My blood started to boil. The thought of him with HER. I wanted to trash the whole common room.

That was what made up by mind. I was going to tell Clara at the ball and that I'd just have to pray to Merlin she feels the same.

George and Lee left for breakfast before me so I walked down with Ron and Harry, as we were walking through the entrance I couldn't help but notice, just to the left of the doors Clara was talking to Adrian Pucey.

It took everything in me not just to lunge at him there and then.

Next time we play Slytherin, I'll be knocking him right of his bloody broom.

Even if he was asking her, I don't think Clara would say yes. She wouldn't do that to me and George as friends.

I'll admit my biggest fear about telling Clara how I feel is that she turns round and says she feels the same- but about George. I think it scares me more than anything else because I know, realistically it could happen.

On paper her and George are probably more suited. Plus George is the 'good twin'.

He's able to think before he speaks, control his emotions, he's smarter and he's just generally better. I'm impulsive and reckless, I can't help but act on how I feel and I do things before I think about the repercussions- in fact the only time I don't do that is when it concerns Clara.

I'd never want to do anything to hurt her or our friendship, so I'm never reckless with her. She means to much

I sat down at the table with the boys and George was sat smiling. But before I could ask why, Lee blurted out "did you hear who Georgie here has managed to pull?" slamming his hand on the table.

And once again before I or anyone else could speak-

"Ophelia Olivander! She's literally one of the fittest girls in school" he practically squealed

"well I am one of the fittest boys" said George

"yeah right" Ron said rolling his eyes

"what do you mean pulled her?" I asked

"well Fred, I was just about to tell you. I won't be joining you and Clara this evening at the ball. I'm going with Ophelia" he beamed and winked at me

"I hope you're joking. Does Clara know?" I asked flatly

"I assume so, I think Ophelia told her this morning"

"well that's just great" I spat, irritated.

George lowered his voice "what is the problem Freddie?"

I glared at him "the problem is Georgie, Clara agreed to go with both of us. Not just me"

"well yeah technically, but she's obviously going to go with you"

Jealousy and rage stirred in me.

"evidently not. We just saw her speaking to Adrian Pucey, who Longbottom told me has a huge crush on her and was going to ask her to the ball. So no doubt, she didn't want to go with just me and said yes to him" I spat as I clenched my fists.

"and why would she do that?" George spat back

"WHY WOULDN'T SHE" I shouted back at him. Everyone in the hall looked at me but I didn't care.

How could I be so stupid, of course Clara, perfect little Clara wouldn't want to go with me. Of course she didn't feel the same Fred you idiot. All those times you think you saw it in her eyes, when you thought you felt that tension between the two of you-

It was all in your head you fool.

Oh look, here she comes now. Wonderful.