Adaline

The next morning I woke up with a splitting headache. My eyes fluttered open and to be fair the one advantage of the Slytherin dorms being so dark is that it's a pretty ideal place to be when you're hungover.

Images flashed in my mind of what happened the night before, there was a lot of skin and movement and oh my god!

It hit me like the Hogwarts express, I've slept with my best friend.

I slowly rolled over, expecting to see a sleeping Fred Weasley beside me, but instead- nothing. I saw straight over to Ophelia sitting on her bed, posed like a cat, looking extremely smug

She knows.

"Feeling good this morning Clar?" she pried

"what exactly did you see?" I asked

"see? Well I saw nothing, but I did hear some... things. You're a real loud sleeper Clar" she smirked

I buried my head in my hands

"it's okay we've all been there" she said getting up and going to her vanity

"I don't blame you at all, you've not had any action in goodness knows how long in the real world, it's really no wonder you had to get some in the dream world" she said calmly as she started brushing her long honey blonde hair.

"Dream?" I asked out loud. Suddenly I looked down, I was still dressed in my clothes from last night, my belt hadn't been thrown on the floor and I ran to the mirror to check my neck- sure enough, no hickeys.

Oh no. I haven't slept with my best friend. I had a sex dream about him.

"Seriously Clar, there's no need to look so mortified, we all have them. I won't tell anyone if that's what you're worried about, it wasn't even that bad! You were just kind of well- lightly moaning in your sleep for a bit but nothing mental! Plus you only ever said one thing, something like 'yours, only yours' which is honestly kind of hot" she laughed, but then looked at me worriedly when she saw my face.

I stood there, barely able to process what was going on. It had felt so real, it was more than a dream. I could feel everything like physically feel it, his hands, his lips, his...

I started to cry. This is all too much.

Ophelia was shocked, she threw her arms round me and let me cry on her shoulder.

At that moment Jade came in and immediately hugged me too. It's been a while since this has happened. We separated and I slumped on the end of my bed, telling them everything from the first night back, to the bathroom, to my dream. And by saying it all out loud, I was confronted with the truth- I was falling for my best friend, falling hard.

They sat silent for a minute before Jade said "well, it could be worse, you could fall for the person you're probably supposed to hate most in this school"

There was a moment of tense silence,

almost immediately followed by the three of us erupting into a fit of laughter.

"you know I am really sorry, about keeping it from you, I should've told you guys from the start and I can't apologise enough for how much of a bitch I've been" Jade said lowering her head

"Well I won't sit here and say you haven't been a bitch because, you have. Buuut of course you're forgiven and I'm sorry for flipping my lid last night like that at you both, you should've been able to go public on your own terms and I'm sorry for taking that option away from you." Ophelia replied, offering Jade her hand.

"I'll admit the manic laughter was a bit much but, I understand why you got like that. Plus it's a relief not having to sneak around anymore or lie. I don't think Deans too happy but..." Jade trailed off

"he'll come around, he was probably just in shock like the rest of us" I reassured her

Jade smiled at me and then we all decided to head down for breakfast together.

I sort of hoped the twins wouldn't be there, how was I supposed to look Fred in the eye after dreaming about sleeping with him and then not even realise it was a dream?

The three of us sat at the table eating our body weight in breakfast food, when I decided to ask Ophelia what did actually happen last night and just as I did, Draco Malfoy came limping in shooting me the biggest dirty look, possibly ever.

I am so beyond glad that part was real I thought, laughing when I heard him tell one of his cronies he had a quidditch injury.

"So, Fred took you to the toilets, then back to the commons, you put Malfoy in his place, then you and Fred were lying down together laughing and then you just drifted off to sleep" Ophelia said, filling her bowl with cereal

"so I didn't get up and ask him to stay?" I enquired

"no, you were out like a light he said, he came back and found me at the party, told me what had happened and so I left. Then I came back, you were sleeping for a while until you started..."

"Yep thanks, okay cheers Ophelia, got it" I said shaking my head, as if I could shake out the feeling of embarrassment.

Just then my owl came screeching in and dropped a letter in my lap. It must be my dad finally responding. I opened the letter and it read

Dear Clara,

As you well know, you're mothers childhood was complicated and whilst she told me more than you, I still never knew that much.

Concerning your grandmother, there was lots even your mother never knew, including your grandmothers last name- only her first, Adaline. Your grandmothers name is Adaline.

But I urge you not to look into the past Clara it does not help with the future. Your grandmother was a troubled woman, she refused to even give your mother a last name when she was born which is why your mum adopted the P. after her neighbours that took her in.

Anyways, I found a box of some things of your mothers I've never seen before, I'll send it to you in a few days before I leave for New York for another month but here was a picture that was on top of it. It's your mother as a teenager with baby James Potter when he was born.

You look so much like her sweetheart.

Again, do not go digging into your grandmother, there must be a reason your mother never spoke about her and she wouldn't wish for you to uncover them.

-All my love, dad

Adaline. A pretty name. Uncommon too, should be easy to find in the records. I looked up from the letter and saw the twins enter the hall with Lee Jordan and head to the Gryffindor table.

I wonder if my grandmother went insane because she fell in love with her best friend and ended up driving herself to madness, because I'm seeing how that would most definitely be possible!