46. Mythical Feelings

Christopher

Even though he could feel the hot sun on his back, Christopher shuttered at the feeling of his mother's arms around him; the touch, the smell, the look of her shook everything in him. This was what it was like to hug his mother.

For a moment, everything seemed to melt away, and it was just him and her, together at last, and all those forgotten years, those aching, crying nights, were gone because he was finally in his mother's arms. He would hurt no more.

But slowly, as if waking up from a dream, reality hit, and it sunk in - deep.

"Mother, I can't breath," he finally said. As if on instinct, she let him go stepping back to take a look at him.

"I'm sorry, it's just...my have you grown and so handsome!"

No words.

"Oh, dear, Christopher, are you alright? Your face is all red."

Again, no words, and then softly, "Yes, Mother, I am alright. I'm just...hot. That is all."

A chippy smile appeared on her face. "Yes, well, I believe it's the Caribbean weather. Quite hot and humid here, but once we get back to the island, it will give you a chance to bathe. And Christopher, dear, when did you wash last? You smell, love."

Silence. Bone-chilling silence, and then, "This island that you speak of, is where you said you'd been after all this time?"

"Yes, and I can explain. You see-"

"Is there liquor on this island?"

"Many taverns actually, but Christopher-"

"Perfect."

***

With his crew untied and manning their stations and his mother giving orders to her crew, Christopher was finally able to relax. Of course, that was before he saw one of her men jump headfirst into the water with others following him.

He came over to his mother. "What are they doing?" He asked, curious and slightly worried.

She turned around and thinned her lips. "Well, son, you remember those stories that I told you-the sea one.?"

"The...mermaid stories? Those?"

"It exists, son."

A nervous feeling came over Christopher, and slowly, he walked over to the railing and looked down, and there he saw men. Swimming. With tails. Sparkly tails that glimmered in the sunlight and one thought ran through his head: bloody hell.

"I don't understand. Are your telling me that every story you've ever told me is true?"

"No. Just the mermaids...and the island and the king."

"We're I-I'm not like that, right?"

"No, Christopher. You're human, just as your father and I are. But I'm sorry, love, it's just-"

"How long until we get to this island?"

His mother frowned but answered him anyway. "With good winds, we should get there by nightfall. And I will introduce you to his majesty."

"This king. He is the king of this island, yes?" His mother nodded. "And what are you to him?"

Her face dropped. "I am a merchant. I'm a sea merchant and friend."

Christopher nodded. "I see," he said and gave a quick glance at his men, stopping their work to look over the edge of the ship at the diving men; even Anne seemed to be in a state of shock. He watched her for a moment absently, then when he realized what he was doing, he turned back to his mother.