19. When You Meet A Pirate's Stepmother...

Tristan greeted us as we reached the staircase. He smirked seeing us, and I wanted nothing more than to climb down those damn stairs then.

"Have fun in there?" He said, raising a brow. He looked at Christopher.

Christopher answered in the way he responded before and shot Tristan a deadly look, immediately shutting his friend up.

"Is Sofia down there?" He asked, changing the subject.

Tristan, taking the hint, said, "she is. Come at your own risk."

Right then, I had a feeling that Christopher didn't tell me the whole truth about his stepmother. What the hell did, 'come at your own risk,' mean?

We walked down the damnable staircase, and by the time we reached the bottom, I forgot that there was even dinner.

Who in their right mind would put so many stairs?

Tristan then led us to the dining room where servants dashed here and there for a plump woman. She sat at the head of the table, talking to a manservant that looked scared to the bone.

"Is my husband coming down?" She asked the manservant.

"I'm afraid not, My Lady. Lord Taylor has said he is busy with his work."

"Tell him; I said to come down, understand? Tell him that exactly."

The manservant swallowed and dismissed himself, a stream of cusses following as he passed us.

Eesh.

"Lady Taylor, may I present Lord Christopher and his courting lady, Lady Rachels, " Tristan said with a bow.

Lady Taylor looked at us and rose a brow. "Come back, did you, Christopher? Run out of money?"

I expected Christopher to pout or get upset about the reaction,  but he surprised me.

"I'm afraid not, Sofia. I came to visit you and Father, " he said happily.

The Lady smiled dearly. "Lovely. I assume the big world hasn't bored you yet?"

"No, not yet."

"And who is this? Lady Rachels, you say? Any relations to Jonathon Rachels, the famous piano player?" She asked, turning her attention to me.

I bit my cheek. "No, My Lady. I was-"

I didn't know what to say. Could I say I was captured and about to be sold by another gang of pirates when all of a sudden, Christopher came out of nowhere and saved me?

Or how about your son forced me to play his wife so he could come to a ball meant for him only to end up kissing him and getting captured by your other son because Heaven knows he was angry about the fact that I didn't return his feelings?

Or how about after I thought Topher was using me and going to abandon me he told me he wouldn't ever do that and asked to court me and here we are?

"Anne and I met when I saved her from another ship of pirates."

Why thank you, Topher. Why not tell her the whole story? Go ahead; I'm sure that your scary stepmother would just love to hear about every little detail.

You know, you being shirtless and me drooling bit, or how about that time with your brother and her son? That would be interesting, huh?

"So I assume no title, " The Lady asked.

I shook my head, my face turning red.

"I see."

What did that mean, 'I see?' Was I already a disappointment to Christopher's parents? It had only been an hour!