64. Make Believe

Instead, we played make-believe. And let me say, playing make-believe with a little girl is an experience, but playing make-believe with a princess is unfathomable.

Throughout the entire time, we played like she didn't even know she was a princess. Instead, she was Robin Hood, and I, Maid Marian.

We escaped bandits and stole from the rich to give to the poor (ironically). We slew dragons for some reason and then became mermaids.

At that point, I didn't even know if it was the story anymore since both of us forgot how it actually went. We couldn't have played for more than two hours before Sura plopped down in a chair by the fireplace, calling quits.

I took off my lace cloth and folded it neatly on a table before joining her. She smiled, telling me how much fun she had, and was hoping that I could come back tomorrow.

"I would love to, if there's nothing else you'd have to do. I'm sure being a princess must be tiring," I said with a smile.

Sure laughed. "Not really. I have lessons in the morning, but Mr. Turner says I'm doing so well that it's becoming less and less. Next year, I might not even have lessons!"

"Oh? Why is that?"

"Mama says that I'm going to learn how to become a lady. She says that she's going to help me. She's going to teach me to sew, and walk nice, and talk politely."

I bit my lip. It was clear what was happening. She was being groomed. I had a feeling that it was for a prince.

Sure continued with a sigh. "Mama says that it'll help me in the future. Whatever that means."

I didn't know what to say in the moment. How could I tell a little girl that it was all for a boy she's never met? That all of this was for an act that she'd have to learn to like? Something she'd have to live with?

"Do you like your studies?" I said instead, smiling about the things I remembered from school, the geography part anyway.

"I like hearing the history behind the kingdom, I suppose. Sometimes Jack tells me things when I see him, but he does get boring after a while. He likes to go on a lot."

Yeah, no kidding.

"He says I come from a long line of Royalty from all around the world!"

"Oh, yeah? What else did he say?"

"That I'm adorable and that I'll make an excellent queen one day."

I laughed. "I'm sure you will."

"Oh, yeah! Diane and him tell me stories about the human world they see. My favorite place they told me about was New York! Although they said, it was poor there in the streets."

"If it's poor, why do you want to go?" I asked.

Sure shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. It seems like fun. I get to play Robin Hood, for one."

I nodded, entertaining the idea that Sura seemed to like so much. It suddenly occurred to me that I didn't know if she traveled anywhere.

"Only to other kingdoms," she said, "I've only been to two where Papa had business. Heccie has a wife arranged for him at one. I've seen her too; she's pretty! She's pale, like you, and has straight black hair that she puts in a bun, and has eyes like almonds!" To this, she smiled. "She doesn't talk much, though. When we had dinner with them, she just listened to Heccie and me talk. It was boring after a while."

"How come?"

"Heccie likes talking about the big boar he shot two years ago. He says that it's the biggest boar he's ever seen! He also talks about how well he can spearfish. He said he's the kingdom's fastest, even beating the fishermen!"