14. A Mother's Name

Anne

Finn's face couldn't have been more amused.

"You're going to pay a visit to your father?" He repeated. "Does he know you are coming?"

I swear the smirk on Christopher's face only grew in size. "Well, actually, he's the one who invited me."

Finn broke out into laughter. "What has it been? Six years? He's going to eat you alive, boy."

I felt Christopher tense up, but the happy and cocky expression remained.

"Four, I believe. I believe it is four years. And the only eating we will be doing is on that fine dining table I miss so much. Now, how about those clothes."

Christopher was hiding his pain; I just knew it. But he did he have to hide it from an old friend of his?

Yes.

"What are ye two looking for then? A new coat, dresses maybe?" Finn asked, turning to his collection of sold goods.

"All of the above, " Christopher replied and turned to look at me.

"Care to rethink that whole trousers thing, darling? I just know that one of these dresses would look good on you."

"But, of course, I was only joking."

No, I wasn't.

"Well, if it is fine dresses you are looking for, I have them over here next to women's coats, " Finn said, walking to the said rack.

"That will be perfect, " I said and walked over to the dresses, having my eye on a blue one.

"I think I'll stay with my sailor's wear, thank you, but a new coat will do, don't you think?" Christopher chuckled.

"I believe you're right. But if you don't mind, I'd like to talk to ye a minute, lad, a minute or so to catch up?" Finn suggested.

Christopher thinned his lips. "Will the back do?"

"Of course, come, " Finn said and led Christopher to the back of the shop, pushing back the curtains that acted as a door between the front and back.

Little did they know, though, that I so happened to be in hearing range, and let's be honest, those curtains were nothing compared to a door.

"Did ye tell the lass about her yet?" I heard Finn whisper.

Knowing who this 'her' was, Christopher whispered back, "no. And I don't intend to. She is in the past, and she is never to be spoken of again, understand?" He whispered demandingly.

Who was this 'her,' and why the hell is she never to be spoken of again? They couldn't have been talking about Christopher's mother, right?

Finn sighed. "Look, lad, I know the lass means something to ye, but don't ye think it'll be wise to tell her?"

There was a brief silence before, "no."

When had the word 'no' been in Christopher's vocabulary?

"Lad-"

"I can't, Finn. What's in the past stays. I can not bring Ailsa back into the picture."

"It's the right thing, lad."

"Never."

Was that his mother? Ailsa, was it? But Christopher already told me about her, why was he arguing with Finn about it?

"I hope you know what you're doing, " Finn finally said, after realizing Christopher was not changing his mind.

"It's for the best, Finn. Now, help me pick out a new coat. I have to look my best, don't I?" Christopher said like he was never whispering.