24. Questions And Answers

Anne

Ailsa talked as she followed me through the library. She asked me questions - questions about Christopher (of all things), but I put aside my annoyance since she probably just wanted to know how her friend was doing.

That, and probably see if I'm a good fit for Christopher.

"So, Anne, you and Christopher are an item, yes?" She asked, flipping through a book.

"Uh, yes, " I said.

"And how is that? Do you enjoy his company? Does he?"

"Yes."

From the corner of my eye, I found Ailsa thinking something over as she watched me. I couldn't be sure whether or not I liked her. She was just about everything Christopher said she was.

I just thought I'd enjoy her company a bit more.

"So, how long have you and Christopher been friends?" I asked with a smile.

Ailsa smirked. "Friends? Oh, since we were fifteen, I believe. We met at a ball my mother was holding for her birthday."

Well, that's nice.

"Christopher was dashing in every way, " Ailsa went on. "Surrounded by every girl, he was. Oh, but he stopped when he saw me. He told me I was more beautiful than any flower he'd ever seen."

I could believe that. I just didn't understand why the two never courted.

Why wouldn't they? Ailsa and Christopher looked perfect for each other. They were both drop-dead gorgeous.

Ailsa sighed with a smile on her face. "Every girl wanted to be me that night. He asked me for every dance that there was that night."

"Did he now?" I asked with a funny smile.

Oh, the tales of teenage Christopher. Who would have thought he could be such a romantic in his early youth?

"Oh, yes, but let's talk about you, Anne. I'm just dying to know about Christopher's latest love."

I paused, flipping through a book, and bit my cheek. Would she think wrong of me if I told her the truth about myself?

Well, it's better to tell her the truth, right?

"What do you want to know?" I said, continuing to glide through the shelves.

"Where are you from, Anne? Come from a wealthy family?"

"No, actually, I'm the daughter of a blacksmith. No money, I'm afraid, " I said with a tiny chuckle.

Ailsa chuckled. "Is that so? A pirate courting a woman with no title and no money? You must make an impression on him somehow. Tell me, do you please him in bed?"

I was taken back by her question, my breath hitching, so I ended up coughing.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Oh, no need to be embarrassed. It is women talk after all. You're secret is safe with me."

I cleared my throat. "Uh, Christopher and I were never-. I mean, we never-. Uh, intimate in bed, I mean."

Ailsa gasped. "Never?"

"No, I'm afraid."

"Well, surely there must be a reason Christopher would court you. You have no title, no money; you're not very striking to the eye, please excuse me for saying so."

Wow.

"No problem."

"I can't put my finger on it. Why would Christopher court you?"