71. A Pleasant Day In Town

Anne

You can only throw up so much. Sooner or later that full stomach of yours that you filled with alcohol from the night before runs empty, and you're left with a headache and dire need to pass out.

Cora made me eat breakfast despite my protest not to. I would only throw it up again.

"You need to eat something, Anne," Cora said, holding my hair once again as I leaned over the toilet. All that came out was mucous. "There is nothing left to throw up. You already threw it up last night!"

I wiped my mouth. "You sound like a mother hen." Cora was silent for a moment before patting my back.

"I'm worried about you. Can't I be worried for my friend?"

I sat back on my knees to look at her. "I'll eat, but not at the table. I can't stand to look at that stupid Prince today."

"Done and done. I'll bring up something to eat in the library, how's that?"

"Sounds fine to me."

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Cora went to go answer it as I stood up to follow her. It was Diane who looked as pale as ever.

"Good morning. I just wanted to ask Anne if she'd like to come with me into town. We have to pick up her gown and a few other things."

"Good morning," I said, showing my face. Diane glanced in my direction and gave a sad smile. I couldn't tell who was in worse condition. We both looked tired and about ready to cry.

"The New Year's ball is tomorrow and there are things on sale. There are perfumes and rouges that could compliment your gown."

"Sure." I gave Cora a look. "I'll eat in town. It'll give me a chance to clear my head."

Cora sighed. "If you say so."

***

Tristan came along as well. His excuse was that he couldn't stand being in the castle any longer which was half-true, but I think he couldn't stand knowing his best friend was below his feet in a cell. He didn't mention it, though.

I was glad that I knew how to ride a horse. If I hadn't, then I would have to have to hold onto Diane or Tristan, and despite all of being connected to Christopher, we needed to be by ourselves in a sort of way.

"How's Jack doing?" I asked Tristan when Diane took the lead. She was a good distance in front of us. "I can assume that he didn't sleep much last night."

"Yeah," Tristan said sadly. He wasn't looking at me. "He didn't get much sleep last night, and neither did I. We stayed up talking when he decided to take a break. He didn't come back to the room until a few hours before we left. He's asleep now."

"Is everything okay? Is he? I know he looks like the villain in this."

"It's Hector that's the villain here." Tristan started to sound angry. It was a new look on him. "I didn't like him from the start. I had a bad feeling bout him, but I didn't think too much into it. Jack was right. What does he have to gain from anything? He's the bloody prince! He already has everything."

"What does Jack think?"

"Jack doesn't like that Chrissy is in jail. He says that he observed and trusts me as his best friend enough to know that the things Chrissy is doing now aren't who he really is as a person, and he's not. Christopher likes to hide when things get hard. This is not the first time what he's doing has happened. Mostly, it was snaggin' a few drinks and a few girls from balls his father threw. After a while, he'd be alright enough to talk about it, but it was only when he couldn't take the taste of the alcohol anymore and needed an ear to listen. I was that ear."