21. Old And New

Anne

Whoever Christopher's friend was, she was a woman, and she was coming at noon.

I wasn't bothered if that's what you were wondering.

I trusted Christopher. She was just a friend.

So when he told me her name was Ailsa, I didn't panic. He probably was keeping her from me because he didn't want me to get jealous.

What a good man he was for that.

"So who is this Ailsa? What is she like?"

We were descending the stairs on our way to breakfast. Hopefully, we weren't too late.

Christopher rose both his brows, a bit surprised about the question. It must have been awkward for him for me to ask about his friend.

"She's...an intelligent girl, loving, and...well, a bit demanding. Ailsa is an average Scot; I'd say - with a princess way about her."

I smiled. Ailsa sounded like an interesting girl.

"What would we do with her here? If she's staying for three days, we must be doing something, " I said.

Christopher thought about it for a moment. "Well, I did promise a tour, didn't I? It is going to snow soon, so now would be a good time. But today, I think we should let her have time to unpack."

"That door on the other side of your bedroom wall. That's another connecting door, isn't it?" I asked, remembering what I saw.

Christopher looked surprised about what I said, like he forgot that door was even there, which probably was the case.

"Indeed, it is. Our rooms are for when Father has to bring work home with him. The connecting doors are so that workers could get to each other easily. But I do believe Ailsa would be staying in the room next to me."

Well, that's good. At least then, Ailsa wouldn't be so far away.

When Christopher and I got to the bottom of the stairs, we found Tristan leaning against a wall, talking to another servant.

The servant must have been a good friend of his because he was listening attentively to what he had to say. And it could have been the faint sunlight coming through the windows or Tristan was blushing.

Once Christopher and I came into view, he said something to his friend and came over to us, smiling.

"Did ye two get caught last night?" He asked with a wink.

Christopher sighed. "Is that always on your mind? Honestly, Twist, there is more to life than what lives get created in the bedroom."

He did not just-

Yes, he did.

I blushed, dodging my eyes away from the two of them. I couldn't believe we were having that discussion.

But the two peabrains went along with it. "So, if ye didn't do what I thought ye were doing, what in the world was goin' on in there?" Tristan asked.

"Having a discussion. Like people with lives do, I'm afraid. No place for you."

"Oh, Chrissy, no need to get all sensitive, I was only teasing."

"Twist, breakfast? Remember? And Ailsa is coming at noon; we must prepare for her arrival, " Christopher said and led me off to the dining room, Tristan, in tow.

"Are you friends with her too?" I asked, curious.

Tristan chuckled. "Kind of, I guess. She was closer to Chrissy than me."