10. Why Having A Pirate Teach You Something Is Kind Of Useless

"Gentlemen! Welcome!" Christopher greeted the captain of the ship as he came down the stairs towards them.

They anchored down right next to us, lying a plank between our vessels and crossing over.

I was sure it was captain of the ship. No one else could look so demanding and looked like he had a stick up his backside. He was also wearing a uniform with a bunch of medals and badges in it.

Yup, he was the captain, alright.

I stayed where I was by the wheel, looking down at them all, and I noticed how close the other ship's crew's hands were to their belts, which held heavy swords.

And one or two of them held a pistol.

Bloody hell.

"What can I help you with today, officer?" Christopher beamed, flashing a toothy grin.

My God, how witty he was. How was he not dead yet?

The officer didn't return Christopher's smile and instead grabbed a notepad from his coat pocket.

He flipped it open. "You do know it is against the law for piracy, correct? And that being, I must arrest you and your crew, " the officer said monotonously.

But that didn't stop Christopher, oh, no, it only made Christopher's smile widen.

"I'm sorry, Officer-"

"Burden. Officer Burden."

"Well, Officer Burden, " Christopher said, exaggerating the man's name. "I happy to say that we are not pirates, thank God. Awful creatures, I do say - awful, appalling scoundrels."

Officer Burden looked up from jotting something in his notepad and gave Christopher a dull look.

"Right. Do you have papers to prove otherwise?"

Christopher slapped his forehead dramatically. "My God, I know this is embarrassing for me to say, especially when Captian Daniel Taylor is my stepbrother, but I lost the papers during a terrible storm! How humiliating!"

I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or to barf, it was so bad.

But it wasn't Christopher's acting that Officer Burden was interested in; it was Daniel's name.

"You're saying your brother is Captain Daniel Henry Taylor of the British Army?" The officer said, raising a brow.

He was pretty young for such a position on his ship, but then again, what did I know of the military?

He was handsome in a 'no fooling around' type of way, with golden hair tied back neatly, and a clean shave. Even his blue eyes were firm. It was intimately a bit, especially when they looked up to me.

"Who is that young lady?" He demanded Christopher.

He then looked back at me. "Excuse me, miss, but are you in trouble of any kind? Are these men anything I should report? You are in safe hands, madame!" Officer Burden shouted.

I smirked and came down the stairs. Christopher greeted me with open arms, and I couldn't help but walk to them.

Christopher wrapped his arm around my waist and kissed my head.

"This is my darling wife, Anne, " Christopher said.

I gave my most sincere smile. "Hello, sir. A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Officer Burden nodded his head like he was confirming something and looked back at Christopher.

"And how can you confirm that?"