31. A Day With A Pirate's Stepmother

Anne

Waking up, I laid in Christopher's arms for a moment, looking up at the ceiling. I thought of nothing until the idea of Christopher and Ailsa crossed my mind suddenly.

I imagined them kissing. Christopher's hand running through her fiery hair, and her little body pressed into his. I imagined how they looked and how it all seemed like a fairy tale with the handsome prince and the beautiful princess, madly in love.

I imagined the day of their wedding, and how princess-like Ailsa must have been walking down the aisle, her gown the purest of white, her untamed look, and the church decorated in flowers.

I imagined Christopher handsome as ever in a tailcoat, cleanly shaved and hair combed back, not at all how I've known him. They both were smiling in all their beauty and wealth. I imagined Ailsa saying her vows, telling Christopher how much she loved him, but when it was Christopher's turn, he didn't say anything.

He looked at her, and he ran out of the church to the ocean.

I played that scene in my mind over and over again, visualizing how they must have felt. How Ailsa must have been embarrassed and heartbroken, seeing her beloved running away from her and how Christopher felt like the room was closing in on him.

I forgave him for running because I understood, and I could relate. I just didn't know why he would lie to me about his relationship with Ailsa. Embarrassment maybe, but didn't he know me better than that?

And Ailsa, why was she still here? Why did she come in the first place? She said she forgave him. Maybe she did. I remembered her face when I first met her, and how surprised she was to hear my relationship with Christopher. But then again, didn't she look glad to see Christopher? The fiance that ran out on her?

It was so strange to me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I guess it didn't matter if Ailsa was leaving tomorrow.

I rolled onto my side and looked at Christopher, who was sleeping soundly. I watched him for a moment. I couldn't believe that I was in love with this man. I ran away with him. I ran away with a thief.

It was hard to believe. Not long ago, I was a girl dreaming of something more, looking out my window each day, wishing that I could have something like this. And now I got it, and I was happy. The only thing, though that itched at the back of my, they were the thought of my parents.

I was always coming back to them. Why couldn't I stop thinking about my parents? I was free now; I could go home, but I didn't want to, at least not now. No, I was free. I got my wish. I couldn't go back!

Erasing my thoughts, I leaned over and kissed Christopher lightly on the lips and pulled back, smiling to myself as I watched him wake up. He rubbed his eyes and turned to me.

"Morning, darling, " he said with a yawn.

"Morning, " I said back. "How did you sleep?"

He smirked. "Wonderful, knowing that I slept next to such a beautiful woman."

I rolled my eyes. "What a ridiculous line."

"I am only speaking the truth. Honest, " Christopher said. He rose a playful brow. "Now, I want a kiss."

"Gave you one already."

"That was a peck. I want a kiss. Come here, " the pirate said and leaned forward, while I moved back.

"No can do. One kiss a morning, " I said, smiling. It was moments like these that I liked most. Like when Christopher smiled his evil smile and did something so outrageous like roll me over on my back and got on top of me.