30: A Letter to Mom

Dear Mom,

I'm sorry for getting pissed off at you last night during dinner. If I could, I would've apologized to you this morning. But Hazel and I are desperately ready to get to Austin and decided to leave early this morning before you woke up. We're ready for change and a new life. That's why you're finding this letter at the bottom of your door. And to be honest, it was me who's more desperate to get to Austin. Originally it was Hazel who wanted to get there as badly as she could. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I hate you. I don't. No words could ever describe the love that I have for you even though I'm pretty confused right now.

You put me through a lot of shit which is hard to understand. You made me live with dad for four damn years of hell. There wasn't a day where I wished you could somehow take me. And as soon as I was able to get my driver's license, there was some serious consideration of leaving everything behind and coming to Arizona. But I built somewhat of a decent life during my high school years. How could I leave basketball behind? Who knows if I would've been able to play basketball out in Arizona? And who knows if there would've been an amazing tutor like Hazel to tutor me? If I'm being honest, I'm glad Hazel got to tutor me. She's something special. Hell, she's an angel sent from Heaven.

Also, I wanted to mention that Hazel and I went to the Grand Canyon. I got to see everything that I missed when I was a little child. Yes, my eyes were opened and awake. No sleeping this time. I know you always told me that you'd take me back when I was old enough. And of course, you failed on that promise, but it's fine I suppose. It's fine. Guess I was old enough to go look at it on my own with Hazel by my side.

I'll text you once we reach Austin.

Your son Joey.