Shattered Part II - 8

Chad's POV

It's been a couple of weeks since I've last been to Sebastian's place and things have changed a bit. I pull my car in front of an iron gate with the letter V with a snakehead coming out of the end of it. It's made out of gold two.

The Vance family made that symbol for themselves as they love snakes and one of the family members were a welder and made over a hundred. Most members of the Vance family have one or two of the family letter.

A security guard steps out of the booth and he takes a photo of my car before approaching my vehicle.

Winding down the window I see Charleston and he smiles. "Hello, Mr Whitehall. It's good to see you again."

A smile spreads across my face. "You, too. Is he in yet?"

"Yea, he just pulled the car into the driveway. I'll open the gate and you can join him.

The gate opens and I drive slowly through it. I follow the path that's lined with lilies along the driveway.

That's Kat's favourite flower and she planted all them by herself before she was pregnant with her firstborn.

I wonder where the kids ate? Kat and Sebastian never let them leave their side.

As soon as I make it down to the house a huge brick building is in front of me, with a wrap-around-porch and a side gate next to it.

The gate opens and Sebastian walks through it. "Hey, Chad. Thanks for helping me with my sister-in-law's stuff."

"You're welcome." I park the car before stepping out of it and walking over to the trunk of Sebastian's. Grabbing a box I follow Sebastian to the pool house.

In the pool house, there's a living area that moves towards the kitchen and dining area. It's opened spaced and in the back is a bedroom with an ensuite.

When I had a few too many drinks I used to spend the night in this house and usually ended up having a girl to share a bed with too.

Sebastian hits my shoulder. "You should stop thinking about all the times you had this place with those girls. We both know none of them was the long haul type of woman for you. You spent a lot of time travelling and escaping the City. Are you going to slow it down now?"

"Yes, I am. I have no plans of travelling anywhere and if I do because of an emergency I'm going to ask Kat's sister to accompany me."

"Do you know Kat's sister's name?"

"Of course I do. It's Eliza. A beautiful name for a perfect girl."

Sebastian shakes his head. "Man you have it bad for my sister-in-law. Are you going to stay for dinner?"

"No, I don't think it's a great idea that I see my employee outside of work before she works for me. Once she's settled I think I'll come around."

"Okay," Sebastian is a little quieter than usual and the only time this happens is when he's trying to think of a way to approach a topic that I might not want to talk about. "Your Mom called me."

"Oh," I rub the back of my head. "What did she say to you?"

Sebastian and I walk back to the car and collect more boxes. "She told me about your father's diagnosis. Do you want to talk about it? Or maybe..."

Looking up at my best friend I say. "I'm okay for now. I saw Dad this afternoon and he was fine. We had a few games of golf before he wanted to call it a day and I took back to the club for something to eat and drink. When the time does come for me to talk I'll let you know " I grab another box and take it to the pool house.

Once all the boxes are placed in the pool house I head back over to my car. "I should go before your sister and brother-in-law come home."

A car comes to a stop next to mine and the door opens revealing Kat and Eliza.

A smile appears on Kat's face and she says. "Hey, Chad. Did my husband talk you into helping him with my sister's stuff?"

"He did." I unlock my car. "I have to go."

Kat places her hand on mine. "You're not going anywhere, Chad. I've ordered something and there's plenty of food. I don't want to hear about you leaving for something that you don't have going on. I know your schedule and there isn't anything on for the weekends." She holds her hand out and says. "Keys,"

Giving my keys to her I say. "When dinner is over I'm going home. I just didn't want to intrude on the first night of Eliza being here."

"You're not intruding, Chad," Eliza says. "I'll be happy not to be the third wheel with this lovesick couple."

I laugh. "I'm glad I'm not the only one to thinks that. Do you think this is weird us talking like this before you work for me?"

"What would be weird is you not being here, Chad. I had a feeling that Sebastian would rope you into helping, considering that he won't let Kat and I carry any of my stuff." She looks at her sister and says. "I'm going to unpack my stuff. Can you call me when dinner arrives?"

"Sure," Kat says. "Why don't you take Chad with you. I think the two of you should get to know each other." Taking her husbands hand she drags him into the house.

Leaving me alone with Eliza. "Are you okay with me coming with you to the pool house? If not I could stay in my car until dinner is ready."

"No, you can come with me." Eliza leads the way to the pool house and she opens the door. "Do you want anything to drink?"

"Sure,"

Eliza walks over to the fridge and opens it. Pulling out a few options she put it on the table. There's Pepsi, Pepsi Max, Fanta and water.

Picking up the water I open the bottle and drink. "Thanks,"

She opens her bottle of water and drinks from me too. She returns the other drinks to the fridge and heads to the bedroom where the boxes are. Taking a seat on the floor she opens a box and looks inside. A smile spreads across her face as she looks at the picture.

"What are you looking at?" I ask, moving closer to her.

She shows me the picture and it's her with Kat and they are pulling silly faces in front of a lake. "This was taken at the lake not too far from our house."

"I would love to see the lake one day. It looks like a peaceful place."

"It is." A faraway look appears on her face. "It used to be my favourite place until..." she cuts herself off and a tear falls down her face. "I'm sorry. My hormones seem to be getting the better of me."

I don't think it's the hormones, but the memories of someone.