Shattered Part II - 24

Evelyn takes my arm as we walk towards the dining room. When we get into the room the table is set with candles and five plates are put around the table. Evelyn looks at the table. "Can you please take me to the seat at the head of the table?"

"Yes, I can." Looking into the kitchen I see my sister, Sebastian and Chad washing their hands before they walk into the dining room. Pulling the chair out I help her to sit and then tuck the chair in. "I'm going to wash up before dinner is ready?"

She points to the chair next to her. "I want you to sit next to me."

"Okay," I walk into the kitchen and wash my hands. Then I turn back and head towards the dining room and sit next to Evelyn.

Evelyn snaps her fingers and says. "You can serve dinner, please."

The waiters move around the room and serve us plates. "Thanks," they head towards the kitchen to bring out drinks for us.

During dinner, we make small talk until we've finished and the table is cleared. Evelyn stands up and she says. "Goodnight," to all of us before she walks up to her room.

Sebastian stands up and holds his hand out to Kat. "Let's go to the Ballroom. I have something set up for you." she takes his hand and they walk out of the house.

Chad stands up. "I'm going to bring in the bags. Then I'll show you to the guest room. Since your sister and brother-in-law are doing their own things." he walks out of the room and to the door.

Standing up I walk down the hall and look at all the paintings on the walls. There's one with a blonde and standing close by is Chihuahua. Then there's more of the family members standing around Evelyn who's at the centre of the picture.

Chad walks into the room and stops next to me. "I remember this picture. Sebastian and I were sixteen when this was taken. His parents invited me along to the vineyard because my parents were away for a work thing. They left us with a Nanny whenever they had to go away. I love my parents and they worked hard to make the company the success it is. Now, they have more time to get to know their kids and the Grandkids are spoilt rotten when they see them."

"Your parents seem like great people. I know I only met them the other day. Your Mom wants what's best for you. However, I don't think she's too happy with both Kat and I being pregnant."

He wraps his arms around me in a comforting way. "Did she say something to you?"

"No, it's just a vibe I got off her. She's trying to protect this company. She probably thinks the company will fall."

"I don't care what she thinks. Kat and you aren't going anywhere. If circumstances change for Kat and you, I'll hire someone to help out until you're back. You don't have to worry about losing your job. There's no way I'm going to want to get rid of you. You'll be an asset to the company."

Looking him in the eyes I say. "I don't work for you yet, but at the same time you're putting faith into me."

"I'm putting faith into you because of all the stories I heard about you taking care of your mother. Anyone can tell you have a strong bond with her. That's something that should never be destroyed.

Buzz, buzz, buzz. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it. Looking at the screen I see 'Mom' flash across it. "Excuse me. I have to take this." I answer the call, as I make my way through the house to the back deck.

Me: Hey, Mom. How are you?

I sit on the chair and put my feet up against the table, relaxing as I talk to Mom.

Mom: I'm good. I'm calling because Evelyn called us tonight. She wants us to come to the vineyard. Are you there?

A smile spreads across my face.

Evelyn is one sneaky old lady. I love the way she's including our parents in the weekend.

Me: Kat and I got here tonight. She wants to do something with Kat and me in the morning. I keep wondering why she'd include me in a family affair.

Mom: A couple of months ago at the vineyard, Evelyn told us that she saw a lot of her in you when you met and she wants to guide you in the right direction. She knew Austin wasn't right for you and told me that from the moment she met him.

Me: I know I was stupid for getting involved with Austin when I did. I doubt myself every time a guy shows interest in me. I'm afraid of getting hurt again.

Mom: Eliza, you don't need to be scared. There's a great guy out there that's going to take it as slow as you want. He's going to be by your side every step of the way. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I know you pride yourself on being independent, but it's good to have a partner at your side.

Me: Thanks, Mom. That's something I need to hear. See you tomorrow?

Mom: Yes, you will. I love you, Liz.

Me: Love you too, Mom.

Hanging up the phone I stand and look at the door I exited. Standing not too far from it is Chad. He walks towards me and says. "Do you want me to show you to your room or are you happy if I take you somewhere else?"

"Surprising, I'm not tired yet. So, the place you want to show me sounds perfect."

He puts his hand on the small of my back and leads the way. "You're going to love this place. I discovered it when I was sixteen by accident. I didn't want to be a burden to Bas's family and decided to make myself scarce and when I did that's when I explored the property."

We exit the house and head towards the hotel which is across the driveway of the house. Entering the lobby he waves at the girl behind the counter. "Hey, Jess. Do you have the keys for the roof?"

"Yes," she throws it across the lobby and he catches it. "Don't be up there for too long. I'm sure Evelyn is picking up when someone goes up there."

I think she knows that it's his go-to place when he's here. I wouldn't put anything past her. She's a smart woman.

Pressing the button for the elevator we wait for it to reach the ground floor. When it does we enter it and Chad presses the R button on it and it takes us to the roof. The doors open on the roof and set on it is flowers and a cooler.

I walk over to it and see a bottle of orange juice sitting in the cooler. Holding it up I say. "Evelyn knows about this spot." Then I see a note next to the cooler addressed to Chad. Opening it I read the letter.

Dearest Chad,
                 I know you've been coming to this spot for years and tonight I don't think you'll be alone. I have a feeling that you're bringing Eliza up with you. So, I thought that I would set something up for you to give you bonus points with our girl. Have a great night and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Love

Evelyn.

Shaking my head I let out a laugh. "Damn, she's trying to help you out. You don't need help you're doing great on your own." I lie on the pool chair and look up at the stars. Everything seems to disappear as I look up at the sky and this spot seems to relax me more. Before, I know it I'm falling asleep.

 Before, I know it I'm falling asleep