Chapter 61: Recovery

Thursday , October 29

Kate and Link both had been on oxygen for days. Kate had skin grafts done to help the burns on her arms and upper thighs.

They were okay- they meaning Link and Amelia. Kate couldn't say the same. She had been out for weeks. She had inhaled more smoke than Link- she was barely hanging by a thread.

Link had been taken off the oxygen days before. He needed slight help for his burns but he was okay. Kate was covered in bandages.

Internal injuries from being thrown, and neurological examinations from being whacked on the head with a blunt object.

Link wouldn't stop worrying about her.

"Melia, she saved my life. She can't die." Link said worried.

"She's not going to die." Amelia reassured laying in the bed with him.

"She's so good to us." Link said staring into space.

"She is, she saved my ass, she saved yours. She's just there. Right when you need her most." Amelia said.

Amelia was correct, if they called Kate at any time of night to get her ass out of Brooklyn you can bet your entire life, she would be on the first helicopter trip down to Seattle.

If you needed a wingman to go to an awkward social event, she was your girl. If you needed real advice Kate was there. 8 1/2 years for Link and Kate but it might as well been an entire lifetime. Or at least it felt like it.

-

"Can you tell me where Kate Miller's room is?" A tall, blonde haired, elderly woman asked.

"No I can't ma'am." The nurse answered.

"Oh for fucks sake, move I will just find it myself." The older woman rolled her eyes.

Her heels clicked down the hall and she found Link's room. She threw the door open and stood in the doorway- making her presence well known.

"Isadora?" Link asked sitting up slightly.

"I heard through my people that you and your dumb ass sister did a dumbass thing." Isadora laughed.

"That was Kate not me, she lit the fucking hotel on fire." Link laughed.

"Yeah to save your ass silly." Isadora laughed making herself comfy in the chair next to the bed.

"You guys." Derek said running into Link's room.

"What Derek? We're kind of busy." Amelia groaned.

"Kate's awake and alert. She's asking for you guys." Derek said out of breath from running.

-

"Hey Atty, Hey Melia." Kate laughed.

"Are you insane, you almost died." Amelia said sadly.

"Hey there will be no crying, I'm fine. I got some cool surgeries and OH MY GOD." Kate exclaimed.

"Kate Miller well damn, you and Atticus are still doing stupid things." Isadora smirked.

"Isadora Mooney!? Get over here and see me." Kate exclaimed.

Isadora ran over and hugged Kate as to not hurt her injuries.

"How the fuck do you still look this hot at however old you are?" Kate laughed.

"You know each other?" Amelia asked insecure of how little amount of Link's people she knew.

"Yeah we go way back to when Atty and I first started to date and hang out." Kate smiled.

"So what dumb ass thing did you do now Kate?" Isadora asked.

"Lit a can of car oil on fire and then it caught all the cars in the parking lot and the hotel on fire." Link laughed.

"That's Kate for us." Isadora exclaimed.

"I saved your ass." Kate said pointing to Link.

"Yeah yeah shut up." Link laughed.

"Amelia it's fabulous to meet you finally, sorry for not saying anything earlier these two still act like children." Isadora laughed pointing to Kate and Link.

"It's great to meet you too, I know I live with both of them." Amelia laughed.

"Congrats on the babies Link couldn't stop talking about you and them and your marriage." Isadora said causing Amelia to beam at Link.