Chapter 9: Of Masquerade Balls And Money

Saturday, September 30

Amelia had spent the entire day worried sick about this ball. She would stick out like a sore thumb and she knew it, she wasn't built or born into a life of luxury and she was almost certain all these guests would be. She did surgery all day trying to distract herself from what she was doing tonight. She had walked out her last surgery and glanced the clock 5:00, she walked to the front of the hospital with her things and there it was, that same black Mercedes that picked her up almost a week ago. The door opened but instead of Bruno driving, it was Atticus.

"Come on now Ms. Shepherd, we will be late." The dirty blonde jokes with his date, he thought his date. She took his arm as he walked her to the backseat, there she saw Bruno. "Switch places with me Bruno." He said, implying he was to ride in the back with her.

They arrived at his office and he walked her to the room where her dress and the people that would get her ready were waiting. He left her to be so that he could go and get himself ready, he had to impress her. She sat down as they began to do her makeup- simple but sultry. They curled her hair and placed product to ensure it stayed that way the entire night. She stood up and walked over to her dress as the tailor zipped up the back for her.

The time was finally here 9:00, the ball began at 9:30 so they had to leave now. Amelia had noticed how she was the only one at the office who didn't work here that was getting ready. Atticus came down the stairs in a black suit, with a black bow tie and matte black mask over his eyes. Amelia had lost her words and just stared. He just looked at her because in that dress she was a vision in red. He took her arm and walked her out to the car.

They drove down the streets of Seattle and while Amelia stared out the window all Atticus could do was stare at Amelia. She was already perfect to him but somehow in red she got a little more perfect if that was even possible. Bruno stopped and instead of driving off he parked because all employees were invited as well. Atticus helped Amelia out of the car as he took her arm in his. He flashed her a smile in the darkness and led her through the velvet curtains. She looked around in awe of the scene and then read the sign- this was a charity auction on top of being a ball.

The night had gone well so far, good food, great selections wine although that didn't matter to Amelia she couldn't have it anyway. It would have been fine but if course this wouldn't be a Lincoln family event without the rest of the Lincoln family and that included Anastasia. Amelia tensed up as she saw his family walking towards them. The fact she had on the most standout dress at the event didn't help the fact that Anastasia knew who she was from a mile away.

"You must be Amelia, Atticus spike very highly of you when we sent out invitations." Maureen told her, Maureen recognized the voice from Amelia RSVPing over the phone to her. "Maureen and Eric, Atticus' parents and then Austin and Ana, his brother and sister." She stater kindly, excited to meet the woman her son spoke so highly of in person for the first time. Oblivious to the fact Anastasia already had so much against Amelia.

"It's Anastasia for her, only my brother gets to call me Ana. Either way nice to finally meet you." Anastasia hissed at Amelia, Anastasia wasn't going to lose it in front of her family, she knew the best way to get under Amelia's skin was to do it in private. Anastasia stuck out her hand with a wicked smile on her face, the same wicked smile Amelia recognized from when she called her an adulterous whore a few days before.

"I'm Austin, the better brother. Good to meet you Amelia. You are prettier in person I might add." The oldest brother jokingly flirted with his brother's date. They made small talk but Amelia didn't hear a word, she kept glancing back and forth at Anastasia in that green gown who would give Amelia a smug smile every here and there.

"Mama, Daddy about I show Amelia around the venue while you guys get everything prepared for the auction?" Anastasia questioned, she needed a little alone time with Amelia to discuss an issue she thought they had already resolved.