DigiCast - Airport Familiarization

Start from the beginning

Holes larger than a 5" diameter circle and deeper than 3" or has a slope greater than forty five degrees from any point within the hole to the nearest lip, is a Part 139 violation. 

Airport Operators are not responsible for performing NAVAID diagnostics or repair. However, they have a duty to monitor them as part of their routine self-inspections and report any obvious deficiencies that are found. 

One test that an inspector can use to check for rubber build-up and contamination is to run your hand across an area of the pavement to feel if the texture is smooth rather than gritty to the touch. 

The bases of edge lights, signs and navigational aids should be at grade level and mounted on frangible couplings not more than 3 inches above grade, so that they can break away if struck by moving aircraft.

If you identify a Part 139 violation during your self-inspection, it is required for you to issue a NOTAM. 

Taxiway edge lights are blue.

Spalling is a condition where the pavement's surface is breaking up. 

 Pavement lips should not be more than 4 inches high and have an angle less than 45 degrees.

Which of the following areas is NOT part of the daily safety self-inspection? Terminal HVAC

If obvious problems are found by the FAA inspector during a FAA inspection, and they are not documented in the self-inspection records, there is likely a problem with the qualifications and training of the self-inspection personnel. 

Self-Inspection records must show all conditions found and all of the corrective actions taken. 

Inspections may be conducted more than once a day at many airports.

Special inspections must be conducted not only at the start of construction activity. 

Continuous surveillance inspections are conducted anytime you are out on the airfield and includes: monitoring fueling operations, construction activity and vehicle operations. 

A regularly scheduled airfield safety inspection is conducted every day and normally includes a separate night inspection. 

Airports can jeopardize their Part 139 operating certificate if they have continuous areas of non-compliance without corrective measures. 

If a discrepancy cannot be corrected in a timely manner, it's a good idea to document why, either on the inspection checklist or work order. 

Special inspections cover a lot of situations and are conducted as needed to monitor changing field conditions. This includes during snow and ice events.

When a holding position sign is documented as being unlit at night, the FAA Airport Certification Inspector will expect to see a record of a NOTAM being issued.  

 Periodic condition inspections are conducted to check for specific problems related to slowly changing conditions. 

Which of the following is a good example of a periodic condition inspection? Quarterly inspection of a fuel farm.

The airport does NOT have to provide structural fire response plans, as part of the Airport Emergency Plan, but Part 139 does require minimum personnel, equipment and materials for structural fires.  [false]

Which of the following are the two criteria used to calculate the number of ARFF vehicles required?  aircraft length, frequency of service