2

Welcome to Republic City; part 2

Korra and I hitched a ride on a cargo ship heading to Republic City, and when I say 'hitched,' I mean completely snuck on board and are now hiding behind some crates.

"Hey, Korra?" I call for my sister as I get comfortable and rest my head on Bud's back.

"Hmm?" She answers.

"What do you think the city is going to be like?"

"I don't know, but I heard it's big, and everyone is just.. really happy."

"That sounds nice," I yawn.

"So, I'm going to be busy training in airbending. What are you going to do? I mean, you don't really need to train in anything since you're already an amazing waterbender."

"I don't know. Maybe I'll find a friend who  can show me around town."

"Friends?"

"I mean, you know I love you, but I've never had friends who've stuck around before. I've spent my life in that compound watching you become the Avatar, and all of the employees kids who use to visit that I've come to like, they always left and never came back. They found new things to do, and it wasn't like that for me."

"You're right, I guess having friends would be nice.. Hey, Kitty?"

"Yeah?"

"Happy Birthday."

"Thanks, sis! Goodnight."

...

I wake up to the ship rattling around. I listen closely as I hear a couple of people outside talking to one another. I think we're here. This is so exciting! We're not in the South Pole anymore! And it's already so much warmer.

We did it, we actually made it!

"Korra!" I whisper as I shake my sister awake. "We're here! We're here!"

"We made it to the city?" She asks sleepily.

"Yes, that's what I just said! Get up, they're about to open the door!"

Korra wakes Naga while I wake Bud. We both saddle up and wait for our exit to open. I have major butterflies right now. I can't believe we finally made it! As soon as we're able to, both Bud and Naga take off with us riding on their backs. Bud is much smaller than Naga, but just as fast.

"Thanks for the ride!" Korra says to the men unloading the ship. I giggle at their confusion.

"Wow, look at this place. I've never seen so many satomobiles!" Korra says in awe.

I can't believe it... It's beautiful! And Korra is right, I've never even seen a satomobile before! There's so many people walking on the sidewalks and driving in the street. There are stores everywhere! Some are selling clothes, some are selling food, some are selling jewelry. So many vendors, I can't wait to window shop!- what? I've never window shopped before. This is my first time in the city.

"Look, Korra! It's Avatar Aang!"

We stop at the railing, and there in front of us is this gigantic statue of Avatar Aang. I have never seen anything like this before! I've seen plenty of pictures of him, but to see this in person? It's extraordinary!

I look to Avatar Aang. Maybe I'm just being dramatic, but it's like he's staring at me, and I don't know, it's like I feel... something. I can't put my finger on what it is- maybe I'm just being crazy! It's just a statue, and Avatar Aang is long gone. I'm just a bit excited, that's all.

"Air Temple Island," Korra says, startling me a bit.

"That's where Tenzin lives. You two ready for a little swim?" She asks Bud and Naga, but Naga sniffs around before quickly running to off, and Bud follows. Mmm, it smells yummy.