2;2

Author here! I hope you guys are enjoying Kitty's storyline. I wanted y'all to remember she's still a teenage girl and she's way more naive when it comes to certain things. I really wanted to portray that because I don't think it comes out that much in book one.

*SUPER LONG CHAPTER!
...

The Southern Water Tribe is under siege! When Avatar Korra was attacked by a dark spirit, Chief Unalaq was the only one able to stop it. So Korra turned her back on Tenzin and chose Unalaq as her new spiritual mentor. Tenzin and his family left for a vacation at the Southern Air Temple, while Korra remained in the Water Tribe. Will she be able to restore balance between humans and spirits? Will Von and Kitty make it, or is their relationship doomed?
...

My day started early. Today Unalaq starts Korra's spiritual training, and as much as I don't want to go, my father said he needs me to. Just in case Unalaq gets my sister into any trouble. Honestly, I am so annoyed by this whole situation. Tenzin is gone, and I don't know what Unalaq is up to, but I do not trust him.

"You're early, and you brought your sister," Unalaq says to my sister.

"What can I say? I'm pumped up to learn that Unalaq spirit fighting," Korra says enthusiastically.

"Same," I lie.

Ok, maybe I have been a bit in denial. Yeah it's pretty cool I get to learn about spirits, but I'd be more excited if it weren't my uncle teaching us.

"I'm not here to teach you to fight spirits, I'm here to help you begin your spiritual training. We're going to one of the most remote places in the world, the long neglected spiritual center of your tribe, the South Pole."

"You're going to train me at the South Pole?" Korra asks our uncle.

"Is that such a good idea?" I ask.

I don't know about this. What if we run into a dark spirit or something? This sounds really scary and I don't want anyone to get hurt, especially my sister.

"We will do more than just train. By neglecting the spirits, the people of the south have brought darkness upon themselves, and now it threatens to destroy our tribe. We must set things right. The Southern Water Tribe depends on you."

"I don't think they purposely neglected the spirits," I state boldly. "Our people are not perfect, and yes we've made mistakes, but the world was out of balance for a very long time. Before the One Hundred year war, during, and even after. We went years without an Avatar. That is not my people's fault."

I'd like to think of myself as a respectful human being, but when it comes to my people and our culture, I draw the line. I know I bloodbent, a technique that is forbidden and disgraceful, but my family, my friends, the world was in trouble, and I had to do what I needed to do to protect the people I love. Something I realized when I had to face whether or not I wanted or even deserved my bending back.

"Hmph, you sound like your father," Unalaq says as he rolls his eyes at me.

"Thank you."

"A dangerous trip to the South Pole?" Korra asks rhetorically. "Count me in!"

...

I continue to pack my belongings for the trip into the South Poles as Von hands me the items we need for the night. Team Avatar, my father, my cousins, and Von are accompanying Korra, my uncle, and I. Von and I made up this morning, so even though I'm still annoyed with him from our last argument, I decided to invite him anyway. I can say that now that my friends are coming, I'm a little more excited about this trip than I was this morning. Even Bud and Naga are coming, it'll be just like old times.. Well, sort of.