Chapter 45: The Birthday Present

Author's note:
Please don't forget to vote and comment. Tell me your favourite ships in this book, and see if you can comment a ship name. The winner gets a dedication. Love you lots

I smiled immediately I woke up, because today was a very special day. It was my 16th birthday, and I felt older already. My mood soured immediately when I glanced at my phone. My fingers itched to call or text Jer again but I decided against it. Its been two weeks, and two days since we got back from the trip. Two weeks since I'd laid eyes on Jer, two weeks since the last time I'd talk to him. I missed him terribly, it felt like a huge part of my life was missing, and no one could fill it up. I shook my head as I gave in to the temptation and shot him a text.
Me: I'm sorry. I sighed and put the phone down. Jer meant so much to me, and losing him was taking quite a toll on my mental health.

I groaned, and got up to do my business. I didn't feel like going anywhere so I just wore a jumpsuit, and my duck flip flops. I opened my door, and went to the kitchen. The whole family was gathered there and I smiled. "Good morning", I said. "Morning, Jola", Harry and Marissa said while Gabby smiled. I kissed Gabriel on the cheek, and sat down beside him. Marissa dished out the food, and I frowned. I mean, I wasn't expecting a huge party or anything, but I was hoping they'd remember my birthday.
They talked about the weather, and looked like they didn't know what today was.

"Uh, anything special planned today?", I asked. "Uh, no. We are just gonna stay in and rest. Like they say, all work and no play makes John a dull boy", Harry said. "Its Jack honey", Marissa corrected. "You?", I asked Gabby. "I dunno", she said and ate her bagel. "I was thinking of binging Netflix and eating popcorn till they come out of my ears", she smiled. "What about you?", I turned to Gabriel. "I'm pretty beat. I was in office till late hours yesterday, so I'm gonna rest today like Dad, since there's not much work to do", he said. "Oh", I said, and picked on my food. My mood soured the more, and I frowned, my appetite going down the drain. Nobody remembered my birthday, not even Mum and Dad. Normally, they would have called me midnight to be the first to wish me, but they didn't this year.

Maybe they'd forgotten or something. I had to cut them some slack though, they were across the world buried in work, so it wouldn't be unusual if they forgot their daughter's 16th birthday. J and Dare normally would have come to my room at sunrise, to sing me a birthday song. I had to cut them some slack too, they were in college, and though they were done with exams, I was sure they were busy otherwise they would have called or something. I glanced at Gabriel out of the corner of my eyes, he was laughing at something Gabby was saying.

He'd remembered my birthday a few days back when we went on our first date, so how come he didn't remember on the main day? I mean, he did say he'd worked late in office last night, and was beat, so I guess he was really tired, and slipped his mind. Gabby, I sighed, I couldn't make up an excuse for her. She'd gone to visit Collins the day before, and had come back late, so I guess that was an excuse. Despite all the excuses I made up for them, it still hurt that they didn't remember my birthday, and I pushed the food around in my plate and sighed.

"You said you were gonna take me there to replace the old one", Jared said. Gabby face palmed, and looked sorry. "I'm sorry, Jared, I forgot", she said. "But you are still going to take me there, aren't you?", he asked. "I'm sorry I can't. I'm tired and I don't feel like going anywhere, anytime soon", she replied. Jared glared at her, and threw his napkin down. "That's no fair", he turned to Gabriel. "You'll take me, won't you?", he asked. "Ooh, I wish I can, but I can't. I'm so tired and all I wanna do today is sleep", he said. "What about you guys? You'll take me, won't you?", he turned to Marissa and Harry. Harry looked away immediately, and Marissa drank her coffee to keep from answering the question. "I hate you!", he yelled. I could tell he was really disappointed. I guess that made two of us.