The Prologue

Hi! Thank you so much for giving my book a chance, I promise you won't regret it. I hope you've got your seatbelts on cause it's gonna be one hell of a ride. There's gonna be a rollercoaster of emotions, you're gonna get mad, happy, sad, enraged, emotional, butterflies kind of feeling, joy, disappointment, whoo, a whole lot of emotions I can assure you.

I started Jolayemi in 2018 but of course laziness and writer's block didn't make it successful, it was mostly just laziness. I never thought I'd have the strength and spirit to complete the novel. So February 2020, I decided to start Jolayemi again from the scratch.

Started: February 18, 2020

Completed: November 4, 2020

Before you continue, there are some things I'd like to point out first:

1) This story is yet to be edited so you are going to see a lot of typos and errors, pardon me.

2) I am not against criticisms. I love criticisms, constructive criticisms, I wanna be better, so please don't hold back when you want to point out errors or how I can be better.

3) There's a thin line between constructive criticisms and just plain out being rude and mean. Please don't do that, I have feelings.

4) Please give out ship names, comment and like. If you have any questions, either reach out to me or comment. I read the comments. ALL the comments.

5) I value my readers so much, so if you wanna reach out to me, check my bio!

I was going to change schools. I knew it. Deep down I was aware and if was being honest, I embraced and welcomed the idea. The very walls of our home reminded me so deeply of him. Memories were itched everywhere I looked and I wiped a tear off wondering what went wrong. I could still hear his laugh echoing, bouncing off the walls. He'd been so bubbly and happy and contented, it still felt like a dream.

"Hey", Dare, my elder brother said, interrupting my thoughts.

I sat up on the bed.

"Hey", I replied.

He looked around, clearly uncomfortable and I tapped the space beside me. "Wanna sit?", I asked. He nodded and sat, making the bed dip a little.

"You okay?", I asked.

He gave a dimpled smile, not quite reaching his eyes, and avoided my gaze. I nodded, no words were needed. I hugged him suddenly, and he froze. A moment passed before he hugged me back, awkwardly. I laughed and punched him.

"Dork", I teased.

He rolled his eyes knowing clearly that I was calling him out on his OCD . Dare hated any form of human contact, and unless one met his satisfaction of cleanliness, which I doubt was possible, he liked staying five feet away.

"Jola!", Mum yelled.

I rolled my eyes and sighed in exasperaion. Dare smiled and I glared at him.

"Coming", I called back.

I sighed, standing up. "I better go answer the boss lady", I said.

He nodded and followed me out before closing the door behind him.

I gave a quick glance into my sister's room but she was not there. I hurried downstairs, towards Mum's voice where I heard her in the kitchen, shuffling around and giving instructions to my sister, Jecintha.

"So your maids are cooking in the kitchen while you are busy doing God-knows-what in your room ehn?", Mum snapped when she saw me.

Her thick Nigerian accent elicited her words. The story of how my parents met was as romantic as the Cinderella movie I loved watching as a kid. Dad had gone to Nigeria on a business trip, where he'd met her. She was a stubborn and very opinionated woman, and when they met, she hated him at first, thinking he was one of those rich playboys high on Daddy's money.

Her obduracy, beauty, and the fact that she didn't worship his looks and money intrigued him all the more. He extended his visit to woo her and became determined he wouldn't take no for an answer. Whenever Mum recounted the story, she'd say "He didn't allow me rest until I agreed to go on a date with him, and I hated him ehn."