Chapter 30: The House Guest

Author's note:
Hey guys, its another update yay. In my country, there is unrest going on. The youths are trying to #endsars cause of the bullying, killings, they go through under the animals called SARS. They are meant to protect us, but they are killing us instead. We've shed tears, wailed, sobbed cause the killings we hear about everyday is damaging to our mental health. That's why I decided to upload four chapters this week. Dear you, its okay to cry, its okay to be sad, the killings are inhumane but please take care of your mental health. As you read these chapters, I want you to take a deep breath, drink some tea, eat what makes you happy and prepare for the rollercoaster. I see you, I stand with you, and I love you. This chapter is dedicated to those brave heroes that have laid down their lives for a better country. They won't be forgotten that easily. Dear heroes, we are thankful for your sacrifice, we are thankful you laid down your lives so our children will live in a better Nigeria. Rest in peace, you will be remembered.

I sighed as I got down from the car with Marissa who beamed at me like all was well with the world. It wasn't, not one bit. It all seemed too planned, Mum and Dad practically sending me out of the house to stay at Marissa's. They'd turn deaf ears to all my pleas. I didn't know what Marissa had told them to be so convinced that staying at her house would be the perfect back up plan since they were going out of the country for work. Mum had said it would be easier for me since Gabby and I were friends, what she didn't know was that Gabriel was gonna be the problem for me.

I've been avoiding him like the plague and staying in the same house with him wasn't going to help the situation. I groaned once again as I thought of a million places I'd rather be than in the same house with him. "Hey, is staying here really that bad?", Marissa frowned. I felt bad immediately, after all she was trying to help me and I was being a jerk by grumbling and complaining. I didn't have a problem with her, hell if not for what had happened, staying with the Browns would have been a perfect idea. "No, I'm sorry. Its not you, its just", I said, not knowing where to start from or how to explain to her how her son had broken my heart. "The stuff going on between you and Gabriel?", she asked.

I stared at her in surprise not knowing what to say. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to pry", she said softly. I nodded, and I tapped my feet nervously. "Its just that Gabriel has become another thing entirely, I barely know my son anymore. He doesn't talk to me, nor his Dad, he pretty much avoids everyone. I couldn't help but notice how happy and vibrant he was weeks ago, and all of a sudden, he just stopped being happy", I stared at her. "When you came over for Jared's birthday, and of course when I saw you guys kiss", I groaned in embarrassment, and she laughed.

"No, its nothing to be embarrassed about, I get it. The point is when he's around you, I can't explain it, its like he becomes the happiest boy in the world", she stared at me. "I don't know what's going on, Jola, but he's become worse than before he met you", she took my hands. "And as a mother which you'll get to understand one day, I always want to see him happy. When he's happy, my year is made. So please, bring my son back, Jola. Please", she pleaded. I didn't know what to say to that, and I looked away in confusion. I couldn't promise her that, while its not out of options that Gabriel and I could still become friends in the future, I had doubts it would be more than that. Plus, I didn't know why he was so miserable, he's clearly in love with Blair, so why didn't Marissa just talk to his girlfriend instead?

Marissa wiped a tear, and she chuckled. "Silly me, where are my manners? I should let you rest, we can have that conversation much later, come in", she said, and I moved to take my luggage out of the car when she stopped me. "Don't worry, Alfred will get that", she said. I nodded before following her into the all familiar house. I smiled when I saw Gabby, Jared, Maria and Mr Brown smiling at me. 'Welcome to our house', a sign read. I chuckled at Gabby's beaming face as she came to hug me. "Welcome to our humble home. You are family henceforth", she whispered. I shook my head as I stared at her. "I have a feeling you had something to do with all these", I accused. She shrugged. "I might have given Mum the idea. Maybe, maybe not. Guess we'll never know", she said.