Chapter 20: The Mistake

I woke up with a start, as I remembered the dream I'd had of Starr and Gabriel kissing, and I shuddered. I'd been forced to watch them kiss, as my body failed to move. I jumped out of the bed, and went to do my business. I scowled at my reflection, as I applied the toothpaste on the brush. The kiss replayed in my head, and I brushed angrily. My phone pinged as I came out of the bathroom. It was Gabby.
Gabby: Hey, you okay?
Me: Yeah. I'm good.

I sighed, as I went to look for J. She was sleeping, exhausted from her date with David. I smiled, and closed the door gently so as not to wake her up, as I went to look for Dare. He was eating breakfast, and had dished mine out already. "Good morning", I smiled, inhaling the toast, bacon, eggs, and orange juice he'd set out for me. "How was your night?", he asked. The image taunted me, and I shook my head. "Fine", I said. "You know you can talk to me about anything right?", he said. I frowned. Considering how our last talk about boys had ended in an heated argument, it was safe to say he didn't wanna hear about this one. Especially, since Gabriel had got me off, I blushed furiously as I remembered. It hadn't left my memory, but the image of Gabriel kissing Starr always cut it off. "I know", I said. He smiled, before standing. "Ready for school?", he asked. "Yeah", I said, gulping my juice.

I met Jer in front of my locker, as usual. He smiled when he saw me. "Hey, beautiful", he said. I rolled my eyes at him. "Hi", I said, typing in my combination to bring out my Literature books. "You done with your homework?", I asked. "Don't remind me", he warned. "You do know its due in two days time, right?", I asked. He frowned at me, and I held my hands up in defeat. "Sorry", I said.

"Hey", Starr chipped, and I frowned. "Hi", Jer said. I turned and started to class, both of them on my tail. "So, you're ignoring me now?", Starr asked. I stopped. "No, I'm not", I said. I shouldn't be mad at her, I had no right to be. I mean, I did lie to her, then went behind her back to kiss Gabriel, more than once. I was at fault, I admit that. But what I didn't like was that Starr secretly hated me, yet still pretending to be my friend. I stared at her as she went to sit with Blair, chatting animatedly with her. Since when did they become close friends? "She definitely hates me", I told Jer, as I sat down. "Yup", Jer agreed and I scowled at him.

My attention snapped to Gabriel, who continued ignoring me. Mr Steven entered the class, and wrote something on the board. He clapped his hands, and I jolted in my seat. "I hope you are aware my homework's due in the next two days, and like I said, it takes fifty percent of your grade, so I'll take that into consideration if I were you", he said. I rolled my eyes, as I ignored him and focused on Gabriel.

He was so mad at me, and I wanted to cry. Now, two of my friends hated me. He sensed my stare, I could tell, because he glanced at me with the corner of his eyes, but he didn't look at me. His posture was tensed, as he tapped his hands and legs continuously. The bell rang, and he bolted from the class before Mr Steven could finish what he was saying. I had biology next, and I sighed. I couldn't handle his hostility, at all.

"I'll see you later", I told Jer, before walking slowly to the lab. I saw him seated at our seat, and I moved closer to him. "Hi", I said. He angled his chair away from me, as he ignored me. I blinked back tears. "I'm sorry, Gabriel. I'm truly, deeply sorry", I said. He didn't reply me, and brought out his headphones, turning the music up. I nodded. "Got it", I said. "We are going to be dealing with cells today", Mrs Donald interrupted my thoughts. And just like Literature, Gabriel bolted from me when the bell rang. I sighed, as I headed towards my locker, I had a free period, and I plunked my head in my locker, to stop the tears from flowing. "You okay?", Jer's soft voice said. "I'm okay", I said, letting out a smile. He frowned, not believing me, and I took his arms.

"Okay, I'm ready to see my painting. Ready or not", I said. Jer blanched, as he stared at me. "No excuses, I want to see what you've done so far", I said. He ignored my gaze, and I dragged him to the Arts block, not wanting to hear any more excuses."Go on, show me", I said. He shook his head. "No", he said, before putting the paper behind his back, arching it away from me. I sighed, I was so not ready for his tantrums today. I reached for it, but he lifted it higher. "Jer, stop playing around", I said. I dragged him to the wall, so he wouldn't escape me, and I jumped trying to reach it. "Are you showing off that you are tall?", I asked in puffed breaths. "Are you happy that you are short?", he returned, and I glared at him.