Chapter 43: The Confession

I woke up from the nightmare, my body covered in sweat, as I gasped. Like I said, I haven't had a good night rest since Jer and I had the huge fight. The nightmares varied between Jason's harassment, Alison's bullying, Jer pushing me off a cliff, and Gabriel kissing Nessa. I gripped my hair, and I sighed. I was getting tired of this shit. Luckily, today was the day I was gonna talk to Jer. Since the girls and I made our pact the day before, I've been looking forward to it. I picked up my phone to see if Jer had replied to any of my texts, yeah I didn't think I'd have such luck.

I got up, and went about my business. I traced the delicious smell wafting round the hall to the kitchen. "Hey, Maria", I said. "Hola, Jola", she smiled warmly at me. "What are you cooking?", I asked. "Tortilla española", she said. "That's sounds delicious", I said. "Yeah, it is", she said, and I smiled. I went to the fridge and brought out a soda. I opened it, and took a deep gulp. Jared came in just then, and greeted Maria. "Hey, Jared", I said. He ignored me, took his toys and went out of the kitchen. I sighed and stared at his receding figure. "Is there a problem?", Maria asked. "I think he's mad at me. I've been avoiding him these past few days", I said. "You need to talk to him please. He has not been himself these days, and won't talk to me like he used to", she pleased. "Its okay, I got it", I said.

I sighed, and went in search of him. I knocked on his door, and there was no answer. I knocked his door again, and heard him shuffling around but he still didn't reply. "Jared, please talk to me. Can I come in?", I asked. "No", he said softly. "I need to talk to you, Jared. Please let me in", I said. "Fine, come in", he replied. I opened the door softly, and closed it behind me. Jared was sitting on his bed, and holding his robot. I let out a breath and went to join him on the bed.

"Hey", I said softly. He didn't reply and continued fondling his robot. "Jared?", I called. "What do you want?", he asked. " I know you are mad at me, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I have been avoiding you these past few days, I've just been dealing with some stuff", I said. He folded his arms and glared at me. "All of you are dealing with some stuff all the time. It makes me wanna be a kid forever. No one has time for me anymore, and I don't like it", he said. I drew him closer and kissed his hair. "I'm sorry, Jared, I really didn't mean to blow you off. Do you wanna hear a secret?", I asked, and he nodded. "Sometimes, I wish I could go back to being a kid you know?", I said. He looked up at me, and smiled. "Really?", he asked. "Yeah", I chuckled. "I'm envious of you, you get to be free of adult drama, and I want you to do something for me alright?", I asked. "What's that?", he asked curiously. "I want you to cherish these moments in your life cause once you grow up, you won't get them back, okay?", I said. He gave a vigorous nod, and giggled. "Okay", he said.

I sighed and kissed his cheeks. "I wanna make you a promise today. I promise I won't blow you off, ever again", I said. "Pinky promise?", he asked and brought out his pinky. I laughed, and held his. "Pinky promise", I said. He hugged me and I chuckled. "I hate when you are mad at me", I said. "I'm not mad, I could never be mad you", he said. "Aw", I giggled, and tickled him. "Stop", he laughed, and held my hand.  "Come on, let's go eat breakfast", I said. "Alright. I didn't wanna say anything before, but I'm starving", he admitted. "Hey, Jola", I paused and looked at him. "Does your "adult problem" have anything to do with Gabriel?", he asked. I stared at him in surprise. "Why do you ask?", I asked.

"Gabriel's been moody, and you've been moody, so I wondered if it had anything to do with each other", he said. I crouched to his eye level, and stared at him. "Gabriel and I have an issue, but I promise you its all going to get resolved today, okay?", I said. "Okay", he smiled. "Now, let's go eat", I said. We got to the kitchen where everyone was gathered. "Good morning Marissa", I said. "Morning, Jola", she said. "Marissa, are you okay?", I asked. "I'm fine, I'm just a little bit under the weather", she said. "Do you want some soup?", I asked. "Maria would prepare some for me", she smiled.